Our comprehensive stroke team brings expertise from many disciplines to provide the best possible care for patients.
Patients with a brain hemorrhage or stroke have better outcomes with lower procedural complications in a Comprehensive Stroke Center than at other hospitals.
A Comprehensive Stroke Center is a hospital that has specific abilities to
receive and treat the most complex stroke cases. The certification—which is awarded by The Joint Commission—recognizes the significant resources in infrastructure, staff and training necessary to provide state-of-the-art complex stroke care. Meeting the standards to achieve this certification reflects UC San Diego’s commitment to providing and developing the highest quality stroke care.
While there are over 900 primary stroke centers in the nation, only a handful are Comprehensive Stroke Centers. UC San Diego Health was the first to receive Comprehensive Stroke Center certification in San Diego, and remains the only health system in the county to have the certification at two hospitals (UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest and Jacobs Medical Center in La Jolla). Our stroke team has pioneered endovascular approaches using state-of-the-art devices for procedures such as embolectomies – the surgical removal of blood clots.
9 Reasons to Choose UC San Diego Health For Stroke
- Patients who are admitted to UC San Diego Health for stroke are cared for by neurologists who are specialists in stroke.
- We're staffed by a multidisciplinary team of experts including neurologists, neurointensivists, neurosurgeons, cardiologists and rehabilitation therapists, 24/7/365 with rigorous response times.
- We have a dedicated neurointensive care unit for neurocritical care for complex stroke patients.
- We have a complete sub-specialty of neurovascular and endovascular surgeons for the treatment of aneurysms, AVMs and other causes of hemorrhagic stroke.
- Our team can restore blood flow to the brain with leading-edge catheter devices for blockages of major brain arteries in the most severe strokes.
- Beyond interrupting the initial stroke, our team of experts can determine the underlying cause of stroke and undertake secondary prevention with the following:
- We use highly advanced diagnostic and treatment technologies to provide tailored therapy for each individual patient.
- We exceed intravenous tPA (tissue plasminogen activator) administration rates in all eligible patients.
- We conduct ongoing clinical trials to improve and advance stroke treatment and prevention.
You're In Good Hands
The capability of our stroke center extends beyond the classic stroke patient. Stroke remains the most feared complication of a broad range of other medical interventions. When you undergo any surgery, your risk of stroke is significantly increased. Comprehensive Stroke Center certification offers a safety net for complex forms of medical care.