With two distinct birth settings and a large staff of physicians, midwives and high-risk specialists, UC San Diego Health offers more childbirth options than anywhere else in San Diego.
Labor & Delivery or Birth Center Rooms
Our maternity suites are spacious, with room for the entire family to welcome your new arrival. Families can choose a traditional Labor & Delivery environment or home-like Birth Center at both of our locations. Our Birth Center rooms offer a natural birth experience with minimal medical intervention, attended by certified nurse-midwives in a hospital setting.
Deliver in La Jolla or Hillcrest
Jacobs Medical Center in La Jolla, a New Childbirth Option
Video Tour of Jacobs Medical Center's Childbirth Care
Jacobs Medical Center opened in November 2016 and provides our patients with access to the latest in advanced technology for pregnancy care and childbirth.
- Care for every kind of birth in a beautiful family-friendly setting
- Eight private Labor & Delivery rooms, three rooms for C-section deliveries, and three midwifery-staffed Birth Center rooms
- 32 private postpartum rooms, each with a foldout bed for family members, and a play room for children visiting new siblings
- A Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for the most premature and critically ill newborns. All 52 NICU rooms are private, to encourage parents to touch and hold infants (if possible) and to reduce the risk of infection.
UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- High-quality maternity care choice for low-risk mothers
- Transfer to the NICU at Jacobs Medical Center in case a higher level of care is needed
- Convenient location for families living in central San Diego or the South Bay
- Low-risk mothers who receive prenatal care from the Hillcrest maternity team of obstetricians and certified nurse-midwives may deliver with a maternity team member