COVID-19 update: We know that our patients and their families have questions related to care during this time. Please see
Maternity Care and COVID-19 FAQs for the latest updates.
With two distinct birth settings and a large staff of physicians, midwives and high-risk specialists, UC San Diego Health offers more childbirth options than anywhere else in San Diego.
Labor & Delivery or Birth Center Rooms
Our maternity suites are spacious, with room for the entire family to welcome your new arrival. Families can choose a traditional Labor & Delivery environment at both of our locations or the holistic Birth Center at Jacobs Medical Center. Our Birth Center rooms offer a natural birth experience with minimal medical intervention, attended by certified nurse-midwives in a hospital setting.
Free Maternity Tours
Meet our doctors and midwives at our monthly events.
Deliver in La Jolla or Hillcrest
Jacobs Medical Center in La Jolla
- Care for every kind of birth in a beautiful family-friendly setting
- Eight private Labor & Delivery rooms, three rooms for C-section deliveries, and three midwifery-staffed Birth Center rooms
- 32 private postpartum rooms, each with a foldout bed for family members, and a play room for children visiting new siblings
- A Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for babies with critical and more complex medical needs
Video Tour of Jacobs Medical Center's Childbirth Care
Jacobs Medical Center provides patients with access to the latest in advanced technology for pregnancy care and childbirth, including 52 private NICU rooms.
UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- High-quality maternity care choice
- Level II Intermediate NICU for babies who need short-term intensive care after birth
- Convenient location for families living in central San Diego or the South Bay
- Women who receive prenatal care from the Hillcrest maternity team of obstetricians and certified nurse-midwives may deliver with a maternity team member