CenteringPregnancy is an optional form of prenatal care that combines individual medical appointments with group-based prenatal education held on the same day.
We offer group sessions in person but they are limited to six participants due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Have you ever left a medical appointment only to think of questions you forgot to ask as soon as you got home?
This program gives you the chance to ask those questions and share information with other expectant parents throughout your pregnancy and beyond.
How CenteringPregnancy Works: Individual and Group Appointments
During each session, you will first meet individually with your provider for a physical exam to review your blood pressure, weight and other health measures. This may also include lab tests and ultrasounds. You can talk privately with your provider about any questions or concerns at this time.
After that, the focus shifts to talking as a group about topics that can help you feel your best during pregnancy, and to prepare for labor, birth and newborn care.
- Appointments with your provider and the group sessions are scheduled at the start of the program so you can plan ahead
- Your group will meet every two to four weeks starting around month 3 of pregnancy
- Sessions last for 2 hours, with discussions led by a midwife
- This program can be helpful for both low- and high-risk pregnancies
Discussion topics may include:
- Managing pregnancy side effects and discomforts
- Preparing to give birth
- Eating well and exercising
- Stress management
- Birth control after your baby arrives
Benefits of CenteringPregnancy
- More interaction with your provider
- Enhanced learning and empowerment
- Improved self-care
- Supportive and lasting friendships among group members
Note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, group sessions are limited to six patients. At this time we are unable to invite partners/support persons to the Centering group sessions.
Let us know if you're interested in CenteringPregnancy for your prenatal care.
- If you are already seeing a midwife, mention it at your prenatal appointment
- Call us at 858-657-8745
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org