The Women's Special Care unit at
Jacobs Medical Center provides inpatient care for high-risk women who need to be hospitalized before the birth of their children. We specialize in caring for pregnant women with diabetes, high blood pressure or cardiac complications, and in preventing preterm birth and managing fetal conditions or placenta abnormalities such as placenta previa or placenta accreta. We monitor the condition of each mother and baby with state-of-the-art technology and equipment.
Our specially trained perinatal nurses know that "bed rest" is a misnomer. Hospital bed rest is some of the hardest work that mothers can do for their unborn children. The nurses here understand the issues and disruptions that families face, and attempt to make their stays as smooth as possible. Our goal is always to optimize care for the mother and the baby. Our services include:
- Weekly patient support group
- Individualized childbirth education
- Wireless Internet access
- In-hospital Fetal Assessment Unit
- Small refrigerator and comfortable family seating in each room
- 24/7 visiting hours
- Personalized and compassionate care, to ease long hospital stays
- Labor & Delivery unit and Level III NICU are only a short elevator ride away
If a patient's condition stabilizes or improves before the baby's birth, we can coordinate with the referring physician to return to their care or monitor the pregnancy on an outpatient basis.