UC San Diego Health offers personalized and compassionate treatment for individuals and couples (age 18 and older) with sexual function, sexuality or gender issues.
We address psychological, behavioral, relationship, cultural, religious, and medical factors that may affect sexual wellness.
What Are Signs of Sexual Dysfunction?
Sexual expression is an integral part of a healthy, fulfilling life. When a sexual problem or dysfunction occurs, it can affect your well-being. Most cases of sexual dysfunction are treatable, so it is important to share your concerns with your doctor.
Signs of sexual dysfunction include:
- Difficulties with sexual desire
- Sexual arousal problems (erectile dysfunction, vaginal lubrication)
- Orgasm and ejaculation disorders
- Pain during sex
- Reproductive health issues
- Uncontrolled sexual behaviors
- Gender and sexual orientation issues
What Causes Sexual Dysfunction?
- Psychiatric disorders and their medical treatment (such as depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Psychological conditions (such as concerns about body image, inhibitions)
- Major life stressors (such as work-related stress)
- Aging and life-phase changes (menopause, hormonal imbalance)
- Marital problems or relationship difficulties
- Chronic medical conditions (such as diabetes, heart and vascular disease, and neurological disorders)
Treating Sexual Dysfunction
Your evaluation includes psychiatric, relationship, and medical assessments, as well as a laboratory and hormonal profile.
Our treatment plans use multiple forms of individualized therapy. We formulate plans with you to help achieve the best result.
Medication Available for Low Sex Drive
Dr. Kovacs is certified to prescribe flibanserin (Addyi) for low sexual desire in pre-menopausal women. Flibanserin is the first U.S. FDA-approved drug to treat women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD).
Our services include:
- Individual or couples counseling
- Medical treatment or medication adjustment
- Hormone therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Relaxation techniques
- Education and guidance
- Coordination of care with other UC San Diego Health programs, including urology, women’s pelvic medicine, reproductive health, and support groups
Sexuality is a sensitive and difficult topic for most people to discuss and we respect your confidentiality and comfort at all times. We also encourage the involvement of partners when appropriate.
Because many sexual health problems have complex origins, our sexual health services bring together the medical expertise of numerous disciplines at UC San Diego Health to provide optimal care.