Approximately 20 percent of pregnant women experience post-partum anxiety or post-partum depression. UC San Diego Health offers the most effective treatment plans to help mothers and their families thrive.
UC San Diego Health offers tailored, expert care for mental health conditions and situations unique to women.
Women's Mental Health Services
Our reproductive mental health specialists can help with:
- Diagnosing a mental or behavioral health issue
- Preconception planning for women with psychiatric disorders
- Pregnancy and postpartum depression or anxiety
- Medication management while breastfeeding
- Pregnancy loss
- Infertility or difficulty conceiving
- Mood changes related to infertility treatment
- Mood changes associated with gynecological cancer
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Menopause-related mood changes
Women's Mental Health Treatment
With a whole-person approach to care, we offer:
- Counseling / talk therapy for individuals or couples, including cognitive behavioral therapy
- Medication management
Because women's mental health issues may co-occur with other medical concerns, we work closely with medical specialists to develop a comprehensive treatment plan. We also offer free
educational classes for new parents.
Symptoms of Postpartum Depression, Postpartum Anxiety, and General Depression or Anxiety
Only a health care provider is qualified to diagnose a person's mental health condition, but some signs of depression or anxiety, including postpartum depression and anxiety, include:
- Feeling sad or hopeless
- Frequent crying
- Guilt over not enjoying time with your infant
- Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of motherhood
- Frequent worry about seemingly little things
- Problems with sleep or eating too much or too little
- Feelings of rage or anger
Mental health conditions, like any medical condition, can often be treated successfully. The key is early intervention, adherence to the treatment plan, and communication with your health care provider if treatment is not working or is causing unwanted side effects.