UC San Diego Health is a leader in advanced
nuclear medicine diagnostics and treatments, offering a full range of quality imaging services not widely available elsewhere. Our specialized equipment and expertise make us a preferred referral center for many other hospitals and specialty physicians.
Nuclear medicine is particularly valuable in providing physicians with information on both the structure and function of a patient's cells, tissue or organs.
Our nuclear medicine teams perform more than 34,000 exams a year, offering comprehensive nuclear medicine services that include:
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and computed tomography (CT), also known as PET/CT scans, for the early diagnosis of cancer, heart disease, epilepsy and dementias, including Alzheimer's disease
Single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and computed tomography (CT), SPECT/CT scans, for certain situations in which both the location and functioning of a tissue is of critical importance, such as for cardiac, brain, thyroid and infection imaging.
We also offer:
- Brain imaging with DaTscan and Ceretec
- Xofigo prostate cancer treatment
- Y-90 liver cancer treatment
- GFR kidney function evaluation
- Iodine 131 thyroid cancer treatment, both inpatient and outpatient
- Lutathera for neuroendrocrine tumors (NETs)
- Plasma volume testing
- Nuclear breast imaging
Breast scan (lymphoscintigraphy) and sentinel node mapping
- All general
nuclear medicine procedures