An ultrasound scan, also known as sonogram, uses high-frequency sound waves to create real-time images. This imaging technique does not use radiation and is convenient, painless, non-invasive, and yields quick results.
UC San Diego Health’s ultrasound team provides high-resolution diagnostic ultrasound exams of the abdomen and pelvis, as well as neck, scrotum and extremities. Our clinicians are registered diagnostic medical sonographers and vascular technologists, accredited by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine in abdominal, obstetrical and gynecological ultrasound.
Common uses for ultrasound include:
- Diagnosing heart disease and assessing damage following a heart attack
- Monitoring fetal development (See the
Maternal-Fetal Care and Genetics.)
- Guiding needle biopsies
- Assessing blood flow
- Evaluating internal organ function
- Assessing swelling, pain and infection
The types of ultrasound procedures we perform include:
- Non-invasive vascular examinations
- Transplant (renal/hepatic/pancreatic)
- 3D Ultrasound