Leer esta página en español
(read this page in Spanish).
Calling a Patient
- To call a patient at any UC San Diego Health System hospital, dial 858-657-7000 and ask for the patient by name.
Visiting a Patient
Visiting All UC San Diego Health System Hospitals and Clinics:
- Visitation will be individualized to meet family and patient needs, allowing each patient/surrogate decision-maker the right to identify who is important in being a part of their care and whom they would like present with them.
- All staff will facilitate family/support persons presence and involvement in care as much as possible, orchestrating involvement in the safest possible manner for all involved.
- Children under the age of 18 must be supervised and may never be left unattended. If a child under age 18 is accompanied only by the patient, every attempt will made to collaborate with the patient to locate an additional appropriate family member or friend to care for the child. In the event that this is not possible, the RN will collaborate with the social worker to develop an appropriate plan of care
- To maintain the safety and welfare of all persons at UC San Diego Health System after hours, all guests who remain in or arrive at the medical center after 8:00 p.m. will be identified with an identification (ID) pass specific to the unit where their loved-one is being cared for. The pass is effective for one night only.
Cellular Phone Restrictions
Cell phones can interfere with medical equipment and may not be used in patient care areas. Our staff will direct visitors to public telephones or areas where they may use cell phones.
Learn more about meal services, cafés, and vending machines.
- UC San Diego Medical Center: first floor hallway by the Emergency Department
- La Jolla
- UC San Diego Thornton Hospital: first floor lobby near the dining room
- UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center: Second floor hallway near restrooms
Gifts and Gift Shops
Reading materials, flowers, balloons, stamps, toiletries and gift items are all available at the gift shops located inside each hospital.
At UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest the Gift Shop is located on the first floor near the Information Desk in the main lobby. Call 619-543-5926
At UC San Diego Thornton Hospital and Sulpzio Cardiovascular Center in La Jolla the Gift Shop is located on the first floor, in the main lobby. Call 858-657-6583
To send a gift from outside the hospital, please put the patient's name along with the hospital's name and address on the package:
There is a variety of lodging options near both hospital locations. View more information on lodging near UC San Diego Health System.