Welcome to the UC San Diego Health website. This website is operated and managed by the University of California, San Diego Health. We take protecting your privacy seriously. Please read the full policy to understand how UC San Diego Health uses and protects information collected through this website.
UC San Diego Health owns and operates a consumer-facing website, health.ucsd.edu (hereafter referred to as the “Website”).
The Website allows patients and other members of the public to view health-related information, learn about our medical programs, and arrange for health care and other services.
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Nevertheless, transmission over the Internet, online digital storage, and websites are not completely secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of your information collected through the Website. If the Website collects personal information, UCSD requires the use of the industry standard security protocol known as Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt that information during transmission.
Changes to this Policy
Collecting, using, and disclosing personal information
1. Information collection, use, and disclosure
We, and our vendors, may collect the following personal information from you:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, mailing address, and phone number
- Preference information, such as the types of emails you would like to receive from us
- Health or medical information, such as health symptoms, health conditions, health providers, and medications
- Your device location
- Pages you visited on the Website
- Any webpage on another site that referred you to the Website
- Data about your web browsing history through cookies (see "Cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies," below)
- Web browser type used
- Search terms
- Your IP address or other unique identifiers
- Date, time, and duration that you visited the Website
- Other internet tags and navigational data
We may use and disclose this information for the following purposes:
- To send you requested product or service information
- To send you electronic communications, such as digital newsletters, text messages, and emails
- To improve the UC San Diego Health website user experience and marketing efforts
- To conduct internal quality improvement and troubleshooting
- To remove personal details, such as name and email address, from collected information so it can't be used to identify you
- To respond to requests, questions, and comments, and provide other types of user support
- To comply with a law or legal process that requires us to disclose this information to authorities that may request this information
- To prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to this information to carry out work or perform services on our behalf
- With respect to analytics and statistical information, to perform data analytics regarding usage of the Website and inform advertisers about the nature of our user base
- When you provide us with personal information about dependents and family members, we will use this information only for the specific reason for which it was provided
- For any other purpose with your consent or at your discretion
2. Cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies
"Cookies" are small data files stored by your web browser on your computer. Cookies may allow a website to recognize a user's device, record user preferences, track the pages a user clicks on while visiting the website, and identify the website visited immediately beforehand. Most web browsers accept cookies by default, but you may be able to adjust your browser settings to remove or reject cookies if you do not want your web browsing activity tracked. There are tools available to manage cookies and similar data collection technologies that collect information related to your use of the Website. You can learn more from the FTC.
"Web Beacons" (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) are small electronic files that permit us, for example, to count visitors to the Website who have visited those pages or opened an email from us. Web beacons are also used for other related Website statistics, such as recording the popularity of certain Website content and verifying system and server integrity.
We may combine certain automatically collected information with other information we obtain about you, which may include data we obtain from third parties. Please note that we or third parties may collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different devices and online properties when you use the Website.
For more information on how these third parties use data collected through the Website or to learn how to opt out of these analytics tracking services, please visit these websites at the following links:
To opt out of Google Analytics cookies:
google.com/settings/ads and tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Facebook Pixel and Custom Audience
You may opt out of Facebook Custom Audience by logging into your Facebook account and changing your privacy or advertising settings according to Facebook's opt-out instructions. You may also use your Facebook account settings to unlink your Facebook account from the Website.
For EU users, visit Your Online Choices to learn how to opt out of having your data used for online behavioral advertising by European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) member companies.
3. Opt out
If you make a request to receive information (for example, additional information about one of our programs) through the Website by providing an email address or mobile phone number, you may request to discontinue receiving similar messages in the future. Materials sent to you by email or text message contain information on how to opt out.
4. Data retention
5. Links to external sites
Links within the Website to external websites do not represent endorsement by the University of California or its affiliates.
The Website Privacy Statement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California.