Visiting Hours and Calling for Patients at UC San Diego Health
~ Hospital visiting hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
~ To call a patient at any UC San Diego Health hospital, call 858-657-7000 and ask for the patient by name. (We cannot give information on patient conditions over the phone unless specifically allowed by a patient.)
~ If you are a member of the media who is checking the status of a hospital patient, please see Contacts for Journalists.
Masking and Testing Guidelines
UC San Diego Health has updated its masking protocols for patients and visitors in accordance with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH).
Current tier: GREEN (masks not required for most patients and visitors)
COVID-19 Vaccines and Tests
COVID-19 vaccines or tests are no longer required for visitors to all UC San Diego Health facilities.
Guidelines for Hospital Visitors
Family and friends, including children, are welcome in the hospital or at clinic appointments unless their presence affects patient safety. Please check with your nurse to find out if there are any additional visitor restrictions.
View map, directions and parking information for UC San Diego Health locations.
- Hospital visiting hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Exceptions are allowed in some circumstances; please speak to your medical team.
- Family members who want to visit after 8 p.m. or wish to stay overnight can get a one-night ID badge for the unit where their loved one is staying. Hospital entrance hours vary by location:
UC San Diego Medical Center, Hillcrest
Jacobs Medical Center, La Jolla
- Children are allowed to visit in most circumstances, but no one under the age of 18 may stay overnight unless it's a newborn staying with their mother.
- In our maternity rooms, we offer "nap time" from 2 to 4 p.m. During this time, mothers and babies are given a chance to rest with minimal interruptions.
- ADA service animals may accompany visitors and patients.
- At all UC San Diego Health hospitals and clinics, we do not restrict or deny visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, identity, sexual orientation or disability. We ensure that all visitors enjoy full and equal visitation privileges consistent with patient preferences.
Use of Cellphones
Patients and visitors may use cellphones in most areas of the hospital. Cellphones are not allowed in certain restricted areas with “no cell phone” signs. As a courtesy to others, please turn your cellphone ringer down low or set it to vibrate.
Picture/video and audio recording features may not be used in any area of the hospital. Note that sometimes your doctors or nurses may need to speak on their cellphones to address clinical issues. Photos of patients with family and/or care team members are permitted only with the verbal consent of all individuals who are part of the picture and if it doesn’t violate the privacy of other patients or staff.
- UC San Diego Medical Center: First-floor hallway by the Emergency Department
- La Jolla
Your safety is important to us. As a reminder, all UC San Diego Health facilities are weapons-free zones.
We have a screening process at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest that does not allow items such as weapons, vape devices, lighters or other combustible items, or illicit drugs in our facilities. Please make sure you don’t have these items when you arrive.
If you have any security-related questions or concerns about safety while visiting patients, day or night, or have lost or found an item, please contact UC San Diego Health’s security department at 619-543-3762.
Hillcrest and La Jolla Hospitals and Clinics
~ Our Hillcrest and La Jolla medical campuses are undergoing long-term construction activity and expansion to meet the growing health care needs of our communities.
~ Please plan for possible traffic delays and detours when traveling to these locations. Check the latest construction updates on the Hillcrest medical campus parking page or the La Jolla medical campus parking page.
Banker's Hill Clinic
~ We remain open while construction goes on next to our clinic building. Please allow additional time to arrive for your appointment. Check the latest updates on the Bankers Hill location page.