Interpreter & Language Services
Clear communication is part of providing outstanding care for all our patients in our diverse community.
We provide interpreting services in several languages — including ASL — so that you can comfortably discuss your medical needs in your preferred language. This free service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can request our interpreting services if:
- Your English is limited
- You have hearing loss or speech difficulties
- You communicate in American Sign Language (ASL)
How to Request an Interpreter
You do not need to request interpretation in advance. Just tell our staff if you or your loved one would like an interpreter for any of these reasons:
- You are calling to make an appointment
- You are calling to pay your medical bill, request prescription refills or help with other needs
- You are seeing a provider during a clinic visit or a video visit
- You are in the hospital for a procedure or an overnight stay
Our medical interpreters are trained to accurately translate complex medical information into your preferred language and maintain strict patient confidentiality.
When you're at our hospital or clinic, we have highly qualified interpreters on-site who speak Spanish. For other languages, including ASL, we have interpreters available via phone or remote video calls.
Why Use a Trained Interpreter
If you feel more comfortable speaking a language other than English, it’s natural to ask a family member or friend to translate what your doctor or nurse says. But they may not be able to help you fully understand certain medical terminology or every aspect of your medical condition and treatment.
Make use of our certified interpreters free of charge so that you can feel comfortable, connected and informed. We want to ensure that you and your family can communicate easily and effectively with your health care providers.
We’re committed to ensuring equitable access to health care to all in the vibrant San Diego region.
Additional Information for Deaf or Hard or Hearing Patients
To make an appointment:
- Contact 800-926-8273 (M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) using TTY 711 or 800-735-2922
- Use this Appointment Request Form
For ASL interpretation:
- Request ASL interpretation when you're at a hospital or clinic. Interpreters are available by remote video.
Your Feedback Is Important
If you have suggestions or comments about our interpreter services, please reach out to us.