Do you have a wound that hasn’t healed after four weeks of standard care? You may need advanced wound treatment.
Work with UC San Diego Health’s wound care team to heal your chronic wound, get educated on your condition and prevent infections and preserve limbs.
With advanced services and two hyperbaric chambers, our skilled multidisciplinary team ensures top-level care and fast recovery.
When to See a Wound Specialist
Chronic wounds are a serious health issue. They can be painful and uncomfortable. Complications range from ongoing pain to severe infection or even amputation.
Ask your doctor about advanced wound healing if you have a wound, cut or burn that has not begun healing in two weeks or finished healing in four weeks. The earlier you begin wound care, the better your results will be.
Wound Healing Expertise
Rely on the hyperbaric medicine and wound care team at UC San Diego Health. We have advanced experience treating common and complex wounds and life-threatening wounds, diseases and conditions with skilled surgical techniques and sound medical therapy.
Your multidisciplinary team’s knowledge helps prevent limb loss, complications or the need for repeat procedures. You will get expert evaluation, an individualized therapy plan and follow-up support.
Wounds We Treat
Get comprehensive, effective care for all nonhealing and complicated wounds, including:
- Cancer wounds, including tumors that grow and break through the skin
- Dermatological ulcers (rare cases like pyoderma gangrenosum and calciphylaxis)
- Diabetic ulcers, including foot ulcers
- Failed skin graft
- Pressure ulcers, like bedsores
- Radiation exposure wounds
- Skin diseases and infections
- Surgical wounds
- Traumatic wounds (injury to hard or soft tissue)
- Venous or stasis ulcers
Personalized Care Plan
You’ll receive a thorough evaluation and an individualized wound healing plan that may include:
- Compression therapy to reduce swelling and improve blood flow
- Debridement to remove damaged or dead tissue
- Devices like venous compression pumps to prevent and control swelling
- Dressings and wraps that help grow healthy cells (including nanocrystalline silver)
- Foot orthotic care and management
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) to increase circulation and healing
- Medicines to manage and treat wounds and infections
- Noninvasive vascular assessment (e.g., SensiLase)
- On-site xenografting or use of bioengineered skin substitutes
- Skin substitutes to protect your wound and promote healing
Your UC San Diego wound care team will make sure you have access to all the services you need to ensure quire recovery, such as:
- Nutrition counseling: Educates you about how to eat healthy foods and make lifestyle choices to help prevent wounds
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation services: Help you move more easily and comfortably
- Podiatry services: Reduce future risks of foot wounds and problems with treatment and orthotic (proper) footwear like diabetic shoes
If your doctor referred you to UC San Diego Health, we will coordinate your care with your referring physician.