Nurse Research and Evidence-Based Practice (EBP)
UC San Diego strongly supports nurses with scholarly activities to advance the profession. Judy E. Davidson DNP RN, a full-time nurse scientist, supports nurses with project development, presentation and publication. Nearly 200 nurses belong to our virtual research interest group, networking and sharing resources to help each other with project execution.
UC San Diego medical library is THE designated medical library of San Diego County. UC San Diego nurses enjoy instant access to evidence whenever needed without a charge. Our designated nursing librarian, Korey Brunetti MLIS, supports nurses with search strategies, use of Endnote and other technologies used when conducting change or research projects.
Our active EBP/Research Council organizes and executes a yearly conference to showcase projects conducted over the previous year. Annually, nurses at UCSD present an average of 50 podium and 50 poster projects at regional and national conferences, and publish an average of 30 publications in peer-reviewed nursing journals.
The clinical advancement ladder, constructed by nurses for nurses through shared governance, encourages nurses to conduct evidence-based practice change projects and/or research as a partial requirement for promotion. Classes and individual mentorship are provided for those seeking career advancement.
UCSD is very unique in the way we integrate art as a way of knowing. Our team of nurse artists translate evidence into art and exhibit each year at the conferences. Artists have published their work along with research results as graphic abstracts in peer-reviewed journals.
UCSD Nursing Publications & Projects
UC San Diego nurses in bold. Publication Dates July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019
- Melissa Meehan RN Watercolor: Crying Nurse Graphic Abstract with: Davidson JE, Proudfoot J, Lee K, Zisook S. Nurse suicide in the United States: Analysis of the Center for Disease Control 2014 National Violent Death Reporting System dataset. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2019
- Botta LM, Botta GP. Hemorrhagic Cystitis: Treatment With Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Patients With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2018 Dec 1;22(6):E146-51.
- Carr, E. (2018). Head and Neck Malignancies. In C. Yarbro, M. D. Wujcik, & B. Gobel (Eds.), Cancer Nursing: Principles and Practice (8th ed., pp. 139-152). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett
- Davidson JE, Mendis JM, Gambles Farr S, Jernigan S, Strathdee SA, Patterson T. Family-Centered Care Interventions to Minimize Family Intensive Care Unit Syndrome and Post-Intensive Care Syndrome-Family in Netzer G, Ed. Families in the Intensive Care Unit: Understanding, Engaging, and Supporting. New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2018. ISBN: 9783319943367 https://www.springer.com/gp/authors-editors/book-authors-editors.
- Rosgen B, Krewulak K, Demiantschuk D, Ely EW, Davidson JE, Stelfox HT, et al. Validation of Caregiver‐Centered Delirium Detection Tools: A Systematic Review. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2018. April 18 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15362
- Graham P, Zerbi G, Norcross W, Montross-Thomas L, Davidson J, Lobbestael L. Testing of a Caregiver Support Team. EXPLORE. 2018 Jul 20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2018.07.004
- Jenkins, D., J. Davidson, and L. Cederquist, The Ethics of Law Enforcement in the Inpatient Setting. Critical Connections, 2018 (June/July). http://sccm.org/Communications/Critical-Connections/Archives/2018/The-Ethics-of-Law-Enforcement-in-the-Inpatient-Set
- Lohnes, S., Southwood, R., & Smithson, T. (2018). Providing Self-Management Tools for a Successful Transition from the Hospital into the Community Setting. American Association of Diabetes Educators: CaseShare.
- Padilla, R. M., Urden, L. D., & Stacy, K. M. (2018). Nurses' Perceptions of Barriers to Rapid Response System Activation: A Systematic Review. Dimens Crit Care Nurs, 37(5), 259-271. doi:10.1097/dcc.0000000000000318
- Zima L, Ceulemans S, Reiner G, et al. Paroxysmal motor disorders: expanding phenotypes lead to coalescing genotypes. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1002/acn3.597
- Ignatyeva Y, Nguyen AP, Schmidt U, Barak R, Agarwal R, Davidson JE. Transport of Critically Ill Cardiovascular Patients. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly. 2018 Oct 1;41(4):413-25.
- Norcross WA, Moutier C, Tiamson-Kassab M, Jong P, Davidson JE, Lee KC, Newton IG, Downs NS, Zisook S. Update on the UC San Diego Healer Education Assessment and Referral (HEAR) Program. Journal of Medical Regulation. 2018 Jul;104(2):17-26.
- Graham P, Zerbi G, Norcross W, Montross-Thomas L, Davidson J, Lobbestael L. Testing of a Caregiver Support Team. EXPLORE. 2018 Jul 20. DOI: 10.1016/j.explore.2018.07.004. Project team member. Protocol development. Data analysis. Manuscript preparation.
- Lobbeestael L. Cover art: About the cover. https://www.americannursetoday.com/suicide-among-nurses-might-hurt-us/, p14.
- Meyer D, Chu, F; Derry, K; Hailey, L. Acute reversal of dabigatran with Idarucizumab for intravenous thrombolysis as acute stroke treatment. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. epub ahead of print https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2018.09.027. bhttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0967586818313304?via%3Dihubhttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0967586818313304?via%3Dihub
- Papadimos TJ, Marcolini EG, Hadian M, Hardart GE, Ward N, Levy MM, Stawicki SP, Davidson JE. Ethics of Outbreaks Position Statement. Part 2: Family-Centered Care. Critical Care Medicine. 2018 Nov 1;46(11):1856-60.
- Papadimos TJ, Marcolini EG, Hadian M, Hardart GE, Ward N, Levy MM, Stawicki SP, Davidson JE. Ethics of Outbreaks Position Statement. Part 1: Therapies, Treatment Limitations, and Duty to Treat. Critical Care Medicine. 2018 Nov 1;46(11):1842-55.
- Kleinpell R, Heyland DK, Lipman J, Sprung CL, Levy M, Mer M, Koh Y, Davidson J, Taha A, Curtis JR. Patient and family engagement in the ICU: Report from the task force of the World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine. Journal of critical care. 2018 Sep 8;48:251.
- Kim SC, Pedersen C, Yi C. Validity and reliability of sleep promotion questionnaire and predictors of quality of care. SAGE Open Medicine. 2018 Aug;6:2050312118794595.
- Lee E, Daugherty J, Eskierka K, Hamelin K. Compassion Fatigue and Burnout, One Institution's Interventions. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing. 2019 Feb 15.
- Lee E, Daugherty J, Hamelin T. Reimagine Health Care Leadership, Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st Century. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing. 2018 Jun 13.Nursing DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2017.11.007 , February 2019 (Volume 34, Issue 1)
- Sacco AG, Coffey CS, Sanghvi P, Rubio GP, Califano J, Athas J, Tamayo GJ, Linnemeyer K, Barnachea LC, Orosco RK, Brumund KT. Development of Care Pathways to Standardize and Optimally Integrate Multidisciplinary Care for Head and Neck Cancer. Oncology Issues. 2018 Nov 2;33(6):28-44.
- The relationality of intervention, context, and implementation: A prospective case study Examining the adoption of an evidence informed nursing care model Miriam Bender, Paige Burtson, Deborah Lefkowitz Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation. Washing DC USA December 3-5 2018. Implementation Science 2019 14: Supp 1: 27 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-019-0878-2
- Harvey MA, Davidson JE. Addressing the Consequences of Our Success. Critical care medicine. 2019 Jan 1;47(1):146-7.
- TG Huynh, RL Owens, JE Davidson, Impact of Built Design on Nighttime Family Presence in the Intensive Care Unit, HERD: Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 1937586719836287, 2019
- Bukar NK, Eberhardt LM, Davidson J. East meets west in psychiatry: Yoga as an adjunct therapy for management of anxiety. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2019 May 2.
- Cardenas V, Abbott Y, Hirst JM, Mausbach BT, Agarwal S, Collier G, Tran L, Tamayo G, Downey A, Herring M, Irwin SA. Development, implementation, and initial results of the UC San Diego Health Moores Cancer Center Wellbeing Screening Tool. Palliative & supportive care. 2019 Jan 2:1-5.https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/palliative-and-supportive-care/article/development-implementation-and-initial-results-of-the-uc-san-diego-health-moores-cancer-center-wellbeing-screening-tool/20650BF2BEDA247E2D390C882F3912BE
- Brassil, K. & Carr E. (2019). Has the Emperor Met His Match? Clin J Oncol Nurs. 23(2):3-4.
- Carr E. (2019). Innovation and Invention. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 23(2):123.
- Carr, E. (2019). Invaluable Resources. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 23(1):11.
- Trageser, J., & Davidson, J. E. (2019). Improving Speed and Security When Sharing Protected Health Information of Deceased Organ Donors. Prog Transplant, 1526924819855077. doi:10.1177/1526924819855077. https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/KZ7II6BZ24GGDNRK7NVG/full?fbclid=IwAR2gNCPLfbP9kDq3wyBDFlMcWF5hkPktZrtn-BNKNSjFoAqFXCG_RmuEZ18
- Pospos S, Tal I, Iglewicz A, Newton IG, Tai‐Seale M, Downs N, Jong P, Lee D, Davidson JE, Lee SY, Rubanovich CK. Gender differences among medical students, house staff, and faculty physicians at high risk for suicide: A HEAR report. Depression and anxiety. 2019 May 17.
- Allgood, S., Potts, D. E., Kapnadak, S., Goggin, J., Lechtzin, N., & Liverpool United Kingdom 20190605-20190608. (June 01, 2019). WS05-5 Use of opioids for pain management in individuals with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, 18.
- Dellon, E., Hobler, M., Georgiopoulos, A., Goggin, J., Chen, E., Hempstead, S., Faro, A., ... Kavalieratos, D. (January 01, 2019). Palliative Care Needs of Individuals with Cystic Fibrosis: A National Survey of Patients, Caregivers, and Cystic Fibrosis Care Team Members (S862). Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 57, 2, 514.
- Dellon, E., Hobler, M., Georgiopoulos, A., Chen, E., Goggin, J., Hempstead, S., Faro, A., ... Kavalieratos, D. (January 01, 2019). Barriers to Palliative Care in Cystic Fibrosis (S863). Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 57, 2, 515.
- Chen, E., Homa, K., Goggin, J., Sabadosa, K. A., Hempstead, S., Marshall, B. C., Faro, A., ... Dellon, E. P. (July 01, 2018). End-of-life practice patterns at U.S. adult cystic fibrosis care centers: A national retrospective chart review. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, 17, 4, 548-554.
- Hellyar, M., Madani, C., Yeaman, S., O'Connor, K., Kerr, K. M., & Davidson, J. E. (2019). Case Study Investigation Decreases Burnout While Improving Interprofessional Teamwork, Nurse Satisfaction, and Patient Safety. Critical care nursing quarterly, 42(1), 96-105.
- Nguyen VN, Smith M, Belyk M, Brambatti M, Braun OO, Adler ED, Mariski M, Stevens C, Feist A. INR Remote Monitoring is Associated with Improved Time in Therapeutic Range Following Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2018 Apr 1;37(4):S309-10.
- Davidson JE, Proudfoot J, Lee K, Zisook S. Nurse suicide in the United States: Analysis of the Center for Disease Control 2014 National Violent Death Reporting System dataset. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2019 Jun 8.