We know that the financial aspects of health care treatment can be challenging and stressful. We will work with all eligible patients to help them receive medically necessary care at UC San Diego Health.
Depending on your household income and family size, you may qualify for financial assistance. The discount percentage is determined by a sliding scale. Those with a family income at or below 400 percent of federal poverty guidelines (FPL) generally qualify for a 100 percent discount.
Family Size||100% Charity Assistance Income Level for 2022|
|More than 8||Add $4,720 for each additional person|
Financial assistance is available to those with or without healthcare insurance. Please note that to qualify for assistance, patients with insurance must have incurred health care costs amounting to at least 10 percent of their family income, either at UC San Diego Health or with receipts if incurred elsewhere.
How to Apply
- Fill out the financial assistance application and all required documents (see below). To receive an application, call 858-827-3633, Option 6 or use these links:
Financial Assistance Application - English
Financial Assistance Application - Spanish
- Complete all required documents, including:
- Copy of individual tax return (1040) for current tax year
- Copy of two most recent pay stubs
- Copy of three most recent bank statements (checking and/or savings)
- Return applications and documents to:
- For questions about financial assistance, call 858-827-3633, Option 6, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday – Friday.
Discounts for Self-Pay Patients
Self-pay patients who do not qualify for financial assistance will automatically receive a discount equal to 45 percent of the estimated gross charges for many qualifying services.
For patients with high-cost medical plans who do not qualify for financial assistance, we can offer reasonable payment plans. For more information, call 855-827-3633.
Financial Assistance Documents