The Moores UCSD Cancer Center will present a free public seminar highlighting colorectal cancer awareness, prevention and screening from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 15, at the Cancer Center, 3855 Health Sciences Drive, La Jolla.
The event, held in connection with Colon Cancer Awareness Month, will feature the following Cancer Center specialists and topics:
- John Carethers, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Chief, Division of Gastroenterology: “Importance of Colorectal Cancer Screening and Screening Strategies”
- Lisa Madlensky, Ph.D., Assistant Professor and Genetic Counselor, Family and Preventive Medicine: “Family History and Genetic Testing”
- Giovanna Casola, M.D., Professor of Radiology: “Virtual Colonography: "A Journey to the center of the Colon"
- Tony Reid, MD, PhD, Professor, Division of Hematology/Oncology: “Clinical Research: Advancing Treatment Options”
- Sonia Ramamoorthy, M.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery: “HNPCC/Lynch Syndrome – Diagnosis, Treatment & Cancer Prevention”
Colorectal cancer, the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States, is a term for cancer that develops in the colon or rectum. The American Cancer Society notes that the five-year survival rate for those treated in early stage colorectal cancer, before it has spread, is greater than 90 percent. However, only 39 percent of these cancers are found at that early stage.
This free educational seminar was made possible with the support of Quidel, Inc.
Registration is required, seating is limited. For reservations or further information, please call the Physician Referral Service, toll-free 1-800-926-UCSD (8273), or online . Parking is free.
The Rebecca and John Moores UCSD Cancer Center is dedicated to translating promising scientific discoveries into new and better options for the care of patients with cancer. Founded in 1979, it is the only center in San Diego to hold a National Cancer Institute designation as a Comprehensive Cancer Center, and is one of just 39 such centers in the United States. It ranks among the top centers in the nation conducting basic, translational and clinical cancer research, providing advanced patient care and serving the community through outreach and education programs.
# # #
Media Contact: Kimberly Edwards, 619-543-6163, email@example.com