Leer esta página en español (read this page in Spanish)
We recommend requesting and receiving your medical records online for fast and easy service. You can also submit a paper request in person, by mail, or through fax to receive paper copies.
Online Medical Records through MyUCSDChart
Most medical records are available online at no charge through our patient portal.
Benefits of Using MyUCSDChart
UC San Diego Health’s online patient portal allows you to:
- Request records
- Schedule appointments
- Communicate with care providers
- Renew your prescriptions
Log in or sign up for MyUCSDChart
Learn more about MyChart
Log in to MyUCSDChart. If you do not have a MyChart account or an activation code, call 619-543-5220, every day from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Choose Health > Medical Records
- Choose Medical Record Request and follow the prompts
- Your records will be delivered to your MyChart account, usually within three business days. Records that require a provider’s approval for release may take longer.
Paper Copies of Medical Records
You can submit a paper request in person, by mail or by fax.
Please allow us time to process your request. The legal maximum time to fulfill a request in California is 15 days, although we strive to process requests sooner. We will contact you if your request will be delayed or if we cannot fulfill your request.
Fax Requests from Other Providers
For immediate continuity of care requests, you or your health care provider can request that records are sent directly to their office. Use the form above, or your provider’s office can fax a written request on business letterhead to 619-543-7128. They should include the patient's name, date of birth, and date of visit or information requested. Please write "STAT" at the top of the request.
mail all subpoena-related documents, non-patient directed requests, and/or audit requests. See
Fees for Paper Copies
For paper records that are released directly to a patient or an authorized family member, the first 20 pages are free and additional pages are 25 cents each.
There is no charge for:
- Records delivered electronically through MyChart
- Paper records that are sent directly to another health care provider
Important Information About Requesting Medical Records
To ensure your request is fulfilled quickly, please be aware that:
- Requests cover records related to care at all
UC San Diego Health locations, except Gifford Clinic, pediatric clinics, occupational medicine clinics, and Shiley Eye Institute. Please contact those clinics directly.
- Authorizations MUST contain the following information.
If any of these items are missing from the form or if the form is not signed and dated, your request will be returned.
- Patient information:
- Patient’s full name (list any other names the patient may have had)
- Date of birth
- Medical record number (if available)
- To whom the records will be released (name and full address)
- Purpose for which the information may be disclosed (such as personal use, continuity of care, legal matter, insurance)
- The health information being requested (such as hospital stay, clinic visit)
- Your initials to acknowledge release of sensitive information. Information related to drug and alcohol abuse treatment, mental health or psychiatry treatment records, HIV test results, or genetic test results
will NOT be released without an initial.
- Authorizations signed by a representative must be verified by including a copy of one of the following documents:
- Requests for medical records of deceased patients require a copy of the death certificate or evidence of next of kin or executorship of the estate
- Records can be released to anyone whom the patient authorizes (in writing) to receive them. If an expiration date is not noted, the authorization is valid for one year.
Requests for Radiology Records / X-Ray Images
As of Aug. 28, 2018, all imaging results — including computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound, and others — are released to patients' MyUCSDChart account automatically. Normal results are released four days after the result is available. Abnormal results are released seven days after the result is available.
For previous imaging records, or if you do not have a MyUCSDChart account, please use the authorization forms above, or contact Radiology/Imaging Services at 619-543-6586. Radiology may be able to release images by email or answer questions about release of X-rays and other images.
Mailing Address and Fax Number
UC San Diego Health
Attn: Health Information Management
200 West Arbor Drive, #8825
San Diego, CA 92103
To submit in person, our Medical Records office locations are:
UC San Diego Medical Center – Hillcrest
Suite 115, 1st floor next to Cashier's Office
200 W. Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92103
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
* Paid parking only
Perlman Medical Offices – La Jolla
1st floor, Suite 1-148
9350 Campus Point Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
*Paid parking only
- UC San Diego Health Business Office
6200 Greenwich Drive
San Diego, CA 92122
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
* Free guest parking spaces available
Medical Records staff can assist you with forms if needed. If you submit a request in person, please be prepared to show photo identification.
Requests for Birth Certificates or Death Certificates
Please contact the County of San Diego or see
County Clerk website.
Sharing Your Information with Other Providers
Learn about health information exchanges and
sharing your health information with outside providers.
Other Requests Related to Your Health Record
For any of the following requests, please see our
Privacy Practices page for complete instructions:
- Amending your health record or adding an addendum to your health record
- Receiving a list of disclosures we have made of your health record
- Confidential communications about your health information
- Restricting or limiting the health insurance information we disclose
Do you still have questions? We are here to help, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are closed holidays and weekends. Call 619-543-6704 and select option 5.