Our Senior Behavioral Health Program offers a highly respected intensive outpatient program (IOP) for older adults. The program, which meets at our Hillcrest location for several hours a day, is an alternative to hospitalization.
Who Can Benefit from Intensive Mental Health Care Services
- People who are suffering from depression, anxiety, or self-defeating behaviors
- People who need to transition back to life at home after a period of inpatient treatment
- People who are recovering from an episode of psychiatric illness
The IOP is not appropriate for people with significant memory or other cognitive losses.
About the IOP Program for Older Adults
- Meets two to four days per week for several hours each day
- Based around individualized group therapy sessions that employ a variety of proven treatment approaches, including cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness skills
- Patients are taught how to improve day-to-day living skills, socialization and problem-solving
- Patients also learn how to set realistic goals for rehabilitation and actively participate in their recovery.
In addition, patients may be referred to other specialists and community resources, including UC San Diego Health's:
If You Are Interested in the IOP Program
If you are interested in treatment, contact our clinic at 619-471-3877. You will be asked to undergo a complete diagnostic evaluation by a psychologist and geriatric psychiatrist. This evaluation includes an assessment of your functional capabilities, problem areas and personal strengths. The results help us tailor treatment to each person.