Our infusion centers provide comprehensive, skilled nursing services for patients undergoing outpatient diagnostic and therapeutic intravenous procedures.
Available services vary by location. Your physician and your health insurance company will work with you to determine what type of location is appropriate. (Many insurers prefer to use medical office-based or community-based infusion centers;
see more information on types of infusion centers.)
If you are scheduling oncology-related services at Moores Cancer Center, please see
Moores Cancer Center Infusion Center for more information.
Services vary by location.
- Chemotherapy and biotherapy treatments
- Infusions for clinical trials
- Intravesicular treatments
- Supportive care before and after bone marrow transplants
- Inhalation treatment
- Electrolyte replacement
- Anti-infectives (antibiotics / antiviral therapy)
- Blood transfusions
- Exchange transfusions
- Exchange phlebotomy
Services available in the "Fast track" area include:
- Central line blood work / dressing changes
- Peripheral blood draw
Types of Infusion Settings and Insurance Coverage
Your health insurance company and your treating provider will determine what kind of location is appropriate for your infusion treatment. The different types of locations include:
- Physician's office or clinic space
- Hospital-licensed infusion center (such as Moores Cancer Center in La Jolla, UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, and UC San Diego Health – Encinitas)
- Medical office-based infusion center (such as UC San Diego Health – Vista) *
- Community-based infusion center (such as UC San Diego Health's
Pharmacy Infusion Services) *.
- Home setting
See the list of locations above to identify the location type for each UC San Diego Health infusion center.
* Health plans under
UC San Diego Health Managed Care and other commercial insurance plans often prefer the use of community-based or medical-office based infusion centers, including the UC San Diego Health locations in Vista and Kearny Mesa, when appropriate.