HIPEC Outcome Data
Our HIPEC center is one of the busiest and most experienced in the world.
We perform more HIPEC surgeries than any medical center in the western United States. Because of our experience, our outcomes are among the very best, and we are constantly working to improve them.
Review key statistics and outcome data below.
Facts & Figures
- Number of HIPEC surgeries performed: Approximately 750 between August 2007 and December 2021
- 61% for appendix cancer
- 21% for colorectal cancer
- 8% for mesothelioma
- 9% for other cancers
- Median estimated blood loss (EBL): 200cc
- Patients’ median peritoneal cancer index (PCI): 13
- The median length of stay (LOS) in the hospital: 9 days
|Complication||UC San Diego Health||Average published outcomes|
|Mortality (within 60 days of surgery)||0.6%||2.3%|
|Any complication (within 60 days of surgery)||60.5%||53.8%|
|Serious complication (within 60 days of surgery)||2.5%||24.8%|
|Return to OR||2.7%||10.9%|
|Ileus (delayed gastric function of more than 7 days)||12.1%||5.1%*|
|Readmission (within 60 days of surgery)||15.7%||22.6%|
Hospitals Are Not All Alike
Become an Informed Consumer
At UC San Diego Health, we are dedicated to delivering the highest quality, safest care for every patient, every time. We encourage you to become an informed consumer.