Reflux (GERD), Barrett’s Esophagus and Swallowing Disorders
If you are affected by a condition involving your esophagus, you'll find the most comprehensive care at UC San Diego Health.
We are one of the largest referral centers in Southern California for the care of esophageal swallowing and reflux disorders.
We provide you with the latest integrated and holistic approaches for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), achalasia, Barrett's esophagus, esophageal motility disorders, eosinophilic esophagitis, and laryngopharyngeal reflux.
Why Choose Us
We Lead the Way in the Nation and the World.
We Lead the Way in the Nation and the World
Our physicians are international leaders who developed many of the current guidelines for treating and managing esophageal diseases.
Ranked #1 For Research
U.S. News & World Report ranks UC San Diego #1 in the world for gastroenterology and hepatology (liver) research, based on our physicians' research reputation and publications.
Top Ranking for Care
We're also ranked among the top 20 in the nation for gastroenterology care and GI surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Our leadership in esophageal diseases means that you have access to the newest diagnostic testing, endoscopic therapies, and surgical techniques.
Conditions We Treat
- Barrett's esophagus
- Esophageal cancer
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Esophageal motility disorders including distal esophageal spasm, nutcracker esophagus
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Extra-esophageal reflux syndromes including laryngopharyngeal reflux
- Erosive esophagitis and esophageal stricture/stenosis
- Esophageal symptoms following surgery for GERD or achalasia
- Functional heartburn
- Hiatal hernia and para-esophageal hernia
Our team approach puts the patient at the center. You'll have access to experts in many specialties, including:
- Esophageal diseases
- Advanced endoscopy
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Integrated behavioral and psychological approaches
- Voice and swallowing
- Speech and language therapy
- Lung conditions