Cardiac Rehabilitation & Wellness
Cardiac rehabilitation is a medically supervised program designed to improve cardiovascular health through exercise, lifestyle changes and stress reduction.
If you have heart disease or have experienced a cardiac event or surgery, the cardiac rehabilitation and wellness program can help you change your lifestyle and provide you with the tools to stay on your new path. It's part of UC San Diego Health's comprehensive heart care services.
Cardiovascular Rehab at Jacobs Medical Center
You can access cardiac rehab and wellness services at Jacobs Medical Center in Jolla. We offer state-of-the-art exercise and monitoring equipment, exam rooms, a teaching kitchen and a multipurpose room.Get Directions
Outstanding Rehabilitation and Wellness Services
We partner with Pritikin Intensive Cardiac Rehab to provide comprehensive, early outpatient rehabilitation services. We focus on the three key pillars of the Pritikin program: Regular exercise, heart-healthy nutrition and a healthy mindset.
Our program includes:
- A one-on-one medical evaluation to determine your needs and any limitations you may have
- An exercise regimen tailored to your current fitness level. This may include strength training and/or cardiovascular exercise using a treadmill, bike or rowing machine, or a plan for walking or jogging
- Engaging, Pritikin-exclusive workshops and cooking classes that will teach you how to:
- Implement lifestyle changes to improve heart health
- Start and maintain a safe and effective exercise program at home
- Shop for and cook heart-healthy meals
- Lose weight using healthy scientific strategies
- Make heart-healthy choices when dining out
- Manage daily stress
- Quit smoking
- Individual nutrition counseling with a registered dietitian
- Health coaching sessions with our registered nurses, exercise physiologists or behavioral health professional to help you start and maintain heart-healthy behaviors to reduce stress and promote active living
- Monitoring new or ongoing symptoms, blood pressure, and heart rate and ECG readings
Cardiac Rehab Sessions
You can get 36 or 72 rehabilitation sessions, depending on your insurance plan or Medicare coverage.
Patients We Serve
We work with patients who have experienced one or more of the following:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Current stable angina
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Coronary angioplasty or coronary stenting
- Heart transplant or heart-lung transplant
- Congestive heart failure
- VAD (ventricular assist device) procedure
- Peripheral arterial disease (supervised exercise therapy program)
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation
This offers several advantages to patients.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Services
Our program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), which recognizes our commitment to providing high-quality patient care and services.
Patients are usually referred to our cardiovascular rehab and wellness program by a doctor. But you are welcome to call us at 858-249-1308 for help with this process.
Expert Care Team
Your care team can include physicians, registered nurses, exercise physiologists, registered dietitians, behavioral health specialists, fitness instructors (for tai chi, yoga, etc.) and program managers.