Kidney Care (Nephrology)
Get comprehensive care for all kinds of common or complex kidney conditions at UC San Diego Health.
Our highly ranked kidney specialists (also known as nephrologists) focus on meeting your needs with patient-centered care and the most effective treatments. You'll benefit from our vast experience in diagnosing and treating kidney disease and preserving kidney function
Supported by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDKD), our physician-scientists are part of one of only seven federally funded centers in the country dedicated to making advanced technologies and resources available for kidney disease researchers.
Through our studies and clinical trials, you'll have access to leading-edge therapies and technologies, often well before they're available elsewhere.
Conditions We Treat
You'll receive exceptional, comprehensive care from top experts dedicated to your well-being. Successful treatment starts with an accurate diagnosis of kidney conditions, which include:
- Acute kidney injury
- Cardiorenal syndrome (involving kidney and heart)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Electrolyte abnormalities
- End-of-stage renal disease (kidney failure)
- Glomerulonephritis (kidney inflammation)
- Glomerular disease (disorders that damage the kidneys' blood-filtering units)
- Hypertension disorders, such as nephrosclerosis (related to high blood pressure)
- Immunological renal diseases
- Kidney diseases in pregnancy
- Kidney stones
- Polycystic kidney disease, or PKD (a genetic disorder that causes fluid-filled cysts to grow in kidneys)
Comprehensive, Personalized Care
We aim to monitor, slow the progression, and reduce and treat complications of kidney disorders. Our nephrologists work with radiologists, who use advanced imaging technologies, including MRI, ultrasound and other tools.
You may also undergo several diagnostic tests so your care team can determine the cause of your symptoms, including:
Services and Treatments
Our kidney specialists combine effective therapies with healthy habits and lifestyle changes to help you manage your symptoms and improve your life. We work with experts in other departments to create a personalized treatment plan for you. Our services include:
- Apheresis Care (one of the largest programs in the U.S.)
- Dialysis services (i.e., hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis)
- Endocrinology and diabetes care
- Kidney transplantation
Clinical Trials for Kidney Disease
In addition to standard approaches, you may qualify for a clinical trial, which can give you early access to the most promising new therapies and advanced treatment options. As part of the largest academic health care system in the region, our nephrology team is engaged in kidney research and the latest medical advances.