Cranial Nerve Disorder Care
The experts at UC San Diego Health diagnose and treat conditions involving the 12 pairs of cranial nerves that originate from the brain.
Cranial nerve disorders can cause symptoms that are challenging to live with on a day-to-day basis.
Symptoms of cranial nerve disorders include:
- Hearing loss
Our dedicated, multidisciplinary team includes experts from neurology, neurosurgery and otolaryngology.
Using the most advanced imaging techniques and technologies, we are able to ensure the highest level of medical care in the treatment and diagnosis of cranial nerve disorders.
Conditions We Treat
- Facial pain (including facial neuralgia, anesthesia dolorosa and trigeminal neuralgia)
- Hemifacial spasm
- Facial palsy
- Geniculate neuralgia
- Glossopharyngeal euralgia
- Occipital neuralgia
- Intracranial hypertension
- Sphenopalatine neuralgia
- Torticollis and spasmodic torticollis
- Trigeminal neuralgia
Treatment for Cranial Nerve Disorders
Treatment varies depending on the condition. Our cranial nerve specialists provide nonsurgical treatments, including:
- Stereotactic radiation
- Botox injections
- Glycerol injections
If surgery is an option for you, our physicians are experts in surgical therapies such as:
- Microsurgical removal of acoustic neuromas
- Singular neurectomy
- Posterior canal plugging
- Vestibular nerve section
- Endolymphatic sac shunt surgery
- Vestibular nerve sectioning
- Balloon compression
- Gentamicin chemical labyrinthectomy
Treatment may also be followed by physical therapy and rehabilitation to restore your strength, activity and well-being.
- Head and Neck Surgery (ENT)
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Brain Tumors
- Acoustic Neuroma
Participate in clinical trials that investigate new therapies and ways for treating cranial nerve disorders.