Count on UC San Diego Health to diagnose and treat epilepsy and seizure disorders in adults.
You'll have access to the highest level of care. This includes expert neuroimaging and tests for an early diagnosis as well as comprehensive treatment to protect brain function.
What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy causes seizures, which are disturbances in the brain's electrical activity that can begin at any age. Sometimes the onset of seizures is due to injury, infection or genes, but often, there is no known cause or trigger for epilepsy.
When to See an Epilepsy Specialist
Ask your doctor to see an epileptologist for specialized epilepsy care if you:
- Have uncontrollable seizures after seeking treatment for three months from your primary care provider
- Continue to have seizures after working with a general neurologist for a year
Level 4 Epilepsy Center
Find the best possible care at the Epilepsy Center at UC San Diego Health Neurological Institute, the only nationally designated Level 4 Epilepsy Center in the region. You'll benefit from a skilled team with experience caring for some of the most complex epilepsy cases in Southern California.
Nationally Recognized Expertise & Services
As a National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC) Level 4 Epilepsy Center, we provide advanced services, including:
- Neurodiagnostic and monitoring services to reduce seizure frequency
- Therapies to control seizures that do not respond to medicine
- Surgical procedures to identify areas of the brain causing seizures
- Research and clinical trials to improve treatments and results
Surgery for Epilepsy
UC San Diego Health is recognized for its expertise in performing advanced surgical procedures for treating epilepsy.
Learn More About Epilepsy Surgery
Your First Appointment
At UC San Diego Health, your medical team will create a treatment plan to help you prevent and control seizures. During your first appointment, you will:
- Meet your care team of seizure specialists
- Receive testing and exam services to help us learn more about your condition
- Discuss treatment options, including epilepsy surgery, with your care team
Epilepsy Care with Dr. Jerry Shih
- National Association of Epilepsy Centers
- Epilepsy Foundation
- Epilepsy Foundation of San Diego County
- American Epilepsy Society
Make a Gift
Help support advances in epilepsy treatment by making a financial gift to UC San Diego Health's Neurological Institute.
Our epilepsy team includes EEG technologists, clinical nurse specialists, clinical trial specialists, neurologists, epileptologists, neuropathologists, neuropsychologists, neuroradiologists, neurosurgeons and psychiatrists.