Preventing Another Stroke
At the UC San Diego Stroke Center, we work closely with you to help prevent stroke.
- A careful review of your medical history, along with a thorough neurological and physical exam.
- Explanation of all studies and clinical trial opportunities that may be suitable for you.
- A complete and individualized plan to help you prevent another stroke. We take your own risk factors and prior treatments into account.
The prevention of stroke is a three-part process:
- Modification of lifestyle
- Selection of the appropriate prevention medications
- Surgical procedures to remove blockages in arteries that could lead to a stroke
You may need to modify any of the following stroke risk factors to reduce your chances of having another stroke:
- Tobacco use
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Being overweight
- Alcohol consumption
Stroke Prevention Medications
Stroke researchers at UC San Diego have led the country in several studies designed to identify medications that are most successful in preventing strokes and TIAs.