Access to UC San Diego Health Through Covered California
Certain health insurance plans available through Covered California provide in-network access to UC San Diego Health doctors and services.
Those plans include:
- Blue Shield of California, IFP Exclusive PPO Network – Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze. Not contracted for behavioral health. (Note: On the Blue Shield website, please select "Individual and Family PPO plan" when searching for UC San Diego Health providers.)
- Blue Shield TRIO HMO — Limited primary care locations. Please see this list of primary care locations (PDF) or call 619-543-7826 for assistance selecting an in-network PCP.
- Health Net Ambetter PPO — Any metal level
- Health Net Ambetter HMO — Specialty referrals only, no primary care access
- Molina Healthcare — Specialty referrals only, no primary care access
If you are purchasing health insurance on the state insurance exchange, selecting these plans gives you access to UC San Diego Health physicians and services, including those at Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, Moores Cancer Center, Jacobs Medical Center, UC San Diego Medical Center, Shiley Eye Institute and our outpatient clinic locations.
Open Enrollment for Medical Coverage
There is an open enrollment period each year. You can also enroll in health insurance plans through Covered California within 60 days of a life-changing event such as getting married, getting divorced, or having a child. Talk to an enrollment counselor by calling 619-543-7826 or see Covered California for more details.
For more information on deadlines, plans and prices, see the federal government's Open Enrollment website.
Background on the Affordable Care Act and Covered California
The Affordable Care Act aims to increase the number of Americans with health insurance and cut the cost of health care. The law provides financial assistance to help individuals, families and small businesses pay for health insurance.
Covered California is the state's online marketplace for purchasing health insurance and getting financial assistance to help pay for it. Those who do not have insurance through their employer or another government program can purchase insurance through this exchange. If your income is limited, you may be eligible for free coverage through Medi-Cal.
We're Here for You
UC San Diego Health's team of certified enrollment counselors can help you enroll in a Covered California plan with access to our doctors and services.
Hours: 7 days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.