For information on public transportation serving our Hillcrest and La Jolla hospital locations, please visit
Public Transportation Serving UCSD.
Discharge Transportation Options
You have several options for transportation when you are discharged to home, a skilled or rehabilitation facility, assisted living or other arrangement. Transportation for future appointments also is available.
Note that not all forms of medical transport are covered by health plans.
- Sedan service, for those who can ride in a private car. Cost is $45 plus $3 per mile
- Wheelchair van, for patients who need to ride in a wheelchair. Cost is $75 plus $4 per mile
- Gurney transport, non-emergency transport on a gurney for those who cannot sit up. Cost is $135 plus $6 per mile
- Basic Life Support (BLS), may be covered by your health plan if medically necessary
- Advanced Life Support (ALS), is covered by your health plan if medically necessary
Free UC San Diego Shuttles