If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer, UC San Diego Health is here for you.
Making Your First Appointment
Call us at
858-822-6100 or toll-free at
866-773-2703 to make an appointment with a cancer physician at one of our
convenient locations. The office is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. After your appointment is scheduled, we'll mail you a packet of information to review.
You don't need a physician referral to see
our cancer doctors, but your insurance may require a referral for coverage. Find out which
insurance companies we accept and talk to your insurer about your eligibility of benefits (EOB).
We can provide
second opinion consults on a cancer diagnosis or treatment plan, including video visits in some circumstances.
If you need translation services or interpretation for the hearing impaired, please let the appointment scheduling staff know when you call. We’ll be happy to accommodate you.
Preparing for Your Appointment
To help you get the most from your appointment, please bring:
- Your imaging studies, lab results or other items you may have been asked to bring to your first appointment. If any are missing or you have questions, please calll the New Patient Office at 858-822-6100 for assistance.
- A list (or bottles) of your prescription and over-the-counter medications, as well as vitamins, supplements and herbal remedies
- Emergency contact information
- Your primary care physician's contact information
- Your health insurance card(s), including any Medicare or Medi-Cal cards
- Any co-payment required by your insurance
If you are coming from out of town for your appointment and want to stay nearby, see:
Questions to Ask
Open and honest communication with your doctor can greatly improve your care and comfort. You may find it helpful to write down and bring any questions to your appointment (and then write down the answers you get). Whenever possible, bring a friend or family member along for support. Here are some questions you may want to ask your doctor:
- What is my diagnosis and what does it mean?
- What are my treatment options and what are the benefits and risks of each?
- What symptoms and side effects might I expect, and what are some ways to manage them?
- Are there clinical trials that I may be eligible for?
- What are my next steps?
If you are a doctor looking to refer a patient to UC San Diego Health for specialty cancer care services, see: