Helping You Manage the Highs and Lows of Diabetes
The Diabetes Self-Management Program provides in-depth instruction for UC San Diego Health patients who have prediabetes, type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
Accredited by the
American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE), the program operates at three different clinic locations in Hillcrest, La Jolla and Scripps Ranch.
All classes are conducted by certified diabetes educators.
Who Can Participate?
If you are a patient at UC San Diego Health and have a referral from your primary care or specialty care provider, you can attend the Diabetes Self-Management Program.
How Our Program Helps
Diabetes requires 24-hour care, which means you play the most important role in your disease management.
We offer group or individual settings where you can ask questions, share your stories, and get valuable tips on how to live successfully with diabetes.
What to Expect
We empower people with prediabetes and diabetes to improve well-being through education and self-management coaching.
The core curriculum consists of two sessions that cover:
- An introduction to diabetes (e.g., target blood glucose goals)
- Healthy eating
- Importance of physical activity
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Taking medication and types of medication
- Stress management
- How to cope in a healthy way with motivational tools
- Education on foot care, eye care, smoking cessation and blood pressure management
For those interested in more diabetes management education, we offer additional sessions in a group setting. These sessions provide more comprehensive training on topics initially covered in the first and second sessions that you may need help with. This includes learning how to identify blood glucose patterns and knowing what to do when blood glucose is too high or too low.
- All group sessions are two hours long and we encourage discussion among participants.
- Individual, one-hour sessions are also available for those who need one-on-one instruction (as determined by your doctor).
- Classes are available in English and Spanish.