We're proud of our exceptional record for high-quality care. For more information on quality scores, see
Quality and Safety at UC San Diego Health.
- We rank #23 in the nation for cardiology and heart surgery by
U.S. News & World Report. UC San Diego Health was also ranked the No. 1 hospital system in San Diego and No. 5 in California for 2021-22.
- "A's" for Hospital Safety — UC San Diego Health's hospitals in La Jolla and Hillcrest once again earned top marks from The Leapfrog Group in spring 2021 for keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors.
- In September 2019, UC San Diego Health was named a top performer in the 2019 Bernard A. Birnbaum, MD, Quality Leadership Award category by Vizient, Inc. This award places UC San Diego Health among the top 10 academic medical centers in the U.S. for patient care.
- Our Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) program has earned the prestigious Extracorporeal Life Support Organization's (ELSO) GOLD Award for Excellence in Life Support. This honor recognizes the UC San Diego Health team's commitment to exceptional patient care.
- In February 2019 UC San Diego Health received a four-star rating from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services for the quality of our hospital care to Medicare Advantage patients.
Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), which recognizes our commitment to providing high-quality patient care and services.
- We are one of just a few medical centers in California designated as a Center of Excellence by the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association.
- We have earned the Get With The Guidelines — Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. We are also listed on its Target: Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll. Both distinctions recognize our commitment to saving the lives of stroke patients.
- Earning a Gold Seal from The Joint Commission signifies the highest level of quality care for our patients. Our Gold Seal Advanced Certification programs include our Comprehensive Stroke Center and Ventricular Assist Device program.
- We have significantly decreased "door-to-balloon" time, or the time it took for a lifesaving procedure during the most severe types of heart attacks. Our time was under 60 minutes, well below the national benchmarks.
More about door-to-balloon time.