Video: Experimental Phage Treatment Saves A Life
UC San Diego Health physicians have successfully used an experimental therapy involving bacteriophages — viruses that target and consume specific strains of bacteria — to treat a patient near death from a multidrug-resistant bacterium.
UC San Diego Health's board-certified infectious disease specialists offer expert consultations to diagnose and manage all types of diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites.
Most of our services require a referral from another physician, typically a person's primary care provider.
- Bloodstream infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Cardiac infections, including endocarditis
- Gastrointestinal infections, including
Clostridium difficile infections
HIV/AIDS at the Owen Clinic
- Intra-abdominal infections
Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections
- Post-surgical infections, such as prosthetic joint infections and wound infections
- Sexually-transmitted infections, such as herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia
- Skin and soft-tissue infections
- Tropical diseases, such as malaria
- Urinary tract infections, including recurrent infections and those caused by drug-resistant bacteria
We also offer:
In addition, our infectious disease specialists work closely with our
cancer and organ transplant teams to prevent and effectively treat complicated infections when they do arise.