Registered dietitians / nutritionists at UC San Diego Health collaborate with doctors, therapists and other health care providers to develop customized nutrition plans to help people meet their health goals.
Nutrition Counseling Appointments
We provide one-on-one and group counseling for patients who have been referred by their physicians.
Most people will see their dietitian for one to three visits, depending on their individual needs. Your first appointment will typically include:
- An initial assessment of your history and background
- Dietary guidance and meal planning assistance
- Referrals to other services (such as therapy) to support your dietary goals
Follow-up visits may include a review of dietary goals and any necessary adjustments.
Medical Nutrition Services
In many cases, insurance may cover medical nutrition services for conditions such as:
Services Provided for Hospital Patients
- Medical nutrition therapy and education for adult patients, as needed
- Specific modified diets for a patient's condition and preferences, including food aversions and avoidances
- Specialized nutrition (such as intravenous or alimentary nutrition) for patients who cannot consume food by mouth
- Meal monitoring to ensure proper nutrition for a patient's age and condition
- Meal supplementation, when needed