A family doctor is a primary care physician who can care for the entire family, from an infant to a senior.
Family medicine at UC San Diego Health is based on personal relationships and a model of care that puts our patients first.
By emphasizing communication, shared decision-making, accessibility and continuity of care, your family doctor's office can become your medical home, where all aspects of care can be coordinated in a warm, welcoming and familiar environment.
In many ways, our approach to family medicine re-establishes the traditional importance of the family doctor — also called general practitioners (GPs) — but within the modern context of a highly advanced, complex medical system. See
locations and contact information for family medicine clinics in San Diego County.
To deliver the highest quality of care, we offer services that help simplify and clarify each person's path for health and well-being. These services include:
- Helping you obtain appointments to see medical specialists
- Reviewing test results and notes from appointments with specialists or diagnostic and laboratory results with you
- Charting a strategy with you for managing a chronic condition, "getting to the bottom" of an unresolved health concern or staying the course to maintain good health
- Helping you keep current with routine examinations, immunizations and screening
- Encouraging patient education and involvement in their care
- Ensuring that patients have timely access to physicians and may communicate with medical professionals through the secure online tool
MyUCSDChart, or by phone
We believe that this is the best way to take care of you and your family.
Other Services Offered through Family Medicine
Obstetric and Gynecological Care
All our family medicine offices offer
prenatal care throughout pregnancy and also well woman services.
Whether you are an aging jock, weekend warrior or competitive athlete, our
sports medicine physicians are available to address and treat your musculoskeletal and orthopedic problems, and keep you training.
Shared Medical Appointments
For patients with certain chronic conditions, such as diabetes, we offer
small group appointments to help individuals collectively work toward better management of their health issue.
Chronic Care Management
If desired, we will assemble a multidisciplinary team of health professionals to develop a strategy for managing a chronic condition. Patients also learn to play a more proactive role in managing their health.
Pharmacy Medication Management
Individuals with complex medication regimes, difficulties with medication side effects, medication costs or trouble administering their medications as prescribed can obtain assistance through our pharmacy medication management services, a partnership with Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at UC San Diego School of Medicine.
We offer therapy for common mental health concerns and can help individuals modify behaviors to improve their health.