Facts at a Glance
UC San Diego Health fulfills a special and important role in San Diego. As the region's only academic medical center, our doctors take care of the sickest and most complex patients, conduct research to advance medicine and train the next generation of physicians.
Hospitals and Major Facilities
UC San Diego Health offers inpatient and specialty care in La Jolla and Hillcrest, as well as primary, urgent and Express Care at clinics conveniently located throughout the region.
- UC San Diego Medical Center (381 beds)
- Jacobs Medical Center (364 beds)
- Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center (54 beds)
- Shiley Eye Institute
- Moores Cancer Center
- Koman Family Outpatient Pavilion
UC San Diego Medical Center, Jacobs Medical Center and Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center operate under one license, with a combined capacity of 799 beds.
UC San Diego Health is a referral center for complex, specialty care that is beyond the breadth and scope of most community hospitals:
- Area’s only Regional Burn Center, serving San Diego, Imperial and Riverside counties, as well as portions of Arizona
- Region’s first Level I Trauma Center
- Region's only health system with two Comprehensive Stroke Centers
- Region’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- State’s only advanced certification program for chronic kidney disease care
- Region’s most comprehensive multi-organ transplant program
- Global leader in pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE)
- Owen Clinic for HIV/AIDS care, recognized by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation as a leader in LGTBQ health care equity
- Anne and Abraham Ratner Children’s Eye Center
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Charity Care and Other Benefits to the Community
UC San Diego Health provided $599M in benefits to the community in the fiscal year 2021.
UC San Diego Health doctors care for patients at:
UC San Diego Health Sciences has:
- 3 professional schools: UC San Diego School of Medicine; Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health and Human Longevity Science
- 20+ graduate degree programs: Includes master’s and doctoral programs, as well as joint programs with San Diego State University
- 1,700+ faculty members
- 3,000+ students, postdocs, residents and fellows outpatient surgeries.