Since our founding in 1966, UC San Diego Health has attained national recognition in clinical excellence. Among our most recent awards and achievements:
- UC San Diego Health was ranked the No. 1 health care system in San Diego in
U.S. News & World Report's 2016-17 "Best Hospitals" guidebook for the sixth consecutive year. In this same report, we ranked among the top nationally in eight adult medical and surgical specialties. Specialties listed in the top 50 nationally include: Cancer (No. 35); Cardiology and Heart Surgery (No. 31); Geriatrics (No. 28); Nephrology (No. 24); Neurology & Neurosurgery (No. 37); Orthopedics (No. 28); Pulmonology (No. 11) and Urology (No. 49). Only 3 percent of the more than 4,660 hospitals included in the analysis ranked in even one specialty.
Learn more about our rankings.
- UC San Diego Health maintains a four-year Magnet® Recognition for Nursing Excellence (2016-2020)from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, considered among the highest recognitions for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovation in nursing practice.
- UC San Diego Health was named among the “100 Great Hospitals in America” by
Becker’s Hospital Review in May 2016. The award recognizes hospitals with a strong history of innovation, top-notch patient care, clinical advancement and forward-thinking research. It was also on the list of top hospitals in 2015.
- UC San Diego Health received an "A" for hospital safety in April 2016 from the Leapfrog Group. The A grade reflects overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors. Only five local medical facilities received the top grade.
UC San Diego Health was awarded a "Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence" for the third year in a row in 2016 by Healthgrades, placing us among the top 5 percent of U.S. hospitals delivering superior care to the Medicare population based on clinical outcomes.
- UC San Diego Health was named one of the nation's "Top 100 Hospitals" by Truven Health in 2015. Based on an analysis of nearly 3,000 hospitals, the award recognizes hospitals that score the highest on patient care, operational efficiency and financial stability.
UC San Diego is the only hospital in San Diego and Imperial counties that fully meets all five maternity care standards measured by the independent
Leapfrog Hospital Survey: elective delivery rate, cesarean section rate, episiotomy rate, maternity care precaution standards, and high-risk deliveries.