Being recognized for quality patient care is the highest recognition a hospital system can get. Recent awards and achievements include:
- In May 2017, UC San Diego Health earned the American Stroke Association’s "Get With The Guidelines – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award" and was listed on its "Target: Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll" for the quality of our stroke care.
- UC San Diego Health was awarded an "A" for hospital safety from the Leapfrog Group in April, 2017. Hospitals that earn top marks nationally in the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade have achieved the highest safety standards in the country.
- UC San Diego Health was again named among the "100 Great Hospitals in America” in 2017 by
Becker’s Hospital Review. The award recognizes leaders in innovation, quality patient care and clinical research. UC San Diego Health was also on the list of top hospitals in 2016 and 2015.
- UC San Diego Health was named a
2017 Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the educational arm of the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer civil rights organization. Only 303 health care providers in the nation received the designation.
- For the fourth year in a row, UC San Diego Health in 2017 received a
Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades, which ranks us among the top 5 percent of U.S. hospitals, based on objective clinical metrics. Patients who receive care at these hospitals have better outcomes and lower risk-adjusted complication rates for a range of conditions and procedures.
In 2017, UC San Diego is the only health care system in the greater San Diego area to meet all the maternity care standards identified by The Leapfrog Group as indicative of quality maternal care.
- UC San Diego Health was ranked the No. 1 health care system in San Diego in
U.S. News & World Report's 2016-17 "Best Hospitals" guidebook for the sixth consecutive year. In this same report, we ranked among the top nationally in eight adult medical and surgical specialties. Specialties listed in the top 50 nationally include: Cancer (No. 35); Cardiology and Heart Surgery (No. 31); Geriatrics (No. 28); Nephrology (No. 24); Neurology & Neurosurgery (No. 37); Orthopedics (No. 28); Pulmonology (No. 11) and Urology (No. 49). Only 3 percent of the more than 4,660 hospitals included in the analysis ranked in even one specialty.
Learn more about our rankings.
- UC San Diego Health maintains a four-year Magnet® Recognition for Nursing Excellence (2016-2020)from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, considered among the highest recognitions for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovation in nursing practice.
- UC San Diego Health was named among the “100 Great Hospitals in America” by
Becker’s Hospital Review in May 2016. The award recognizes hospitals with a strong history of innovation, top-notch patient care, clinical advancement and forward-thinking research. It was also on the list of top hospitals in 2015.
- UC San Diego Health received an "A" for hospital safety in April 2016 from the Leapfrog Group. The A grade reflects overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors. Only five local medical facilities received the top grade.
UC San Diego Health was awarded a "Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence" for the third year in a row in 2016 by Healthgrades, placing us among the top 5 percent of U.S. hospitals delivering superior care to the Medicare population based on clinical outcomes.
UC San Diego Health was named one of the nation's "Top 100 Hospitals" by Truven Health in 2015. Based on an analysis of nearly 3,000 hospitals, the award recognizes hospitals that score the highest on patient care, operational efficiency and financial stability.