General Psychiatry Services
Our general psychiatry services for adults draw on the strength of a multidisciplinary approach to deliver compassionate, effective care.
Whether you are looking for marriage counseling, help with anxiety, or concerns about emerging behavioral health issues, we can help. Our core services include evaluations, counseling, medication management, and evidence-based interventions such as cognitive behavioral therapy.
Mental and behavioral health conditions are as real and treatable as other medical issues. If you are not happy with your mental health status, seeking out professional help can transform your quality of life, often with very little intervention.
How to Schedule an Appointment
Our general psychiatry services are only available to adults who are current UC San Diego Health patients. To access our care, please ask your UC San Diego Health primary care provider for a referral to General Psychiatry.
We offer comprehensive diagnosis and treatment planning for common mental health challenges.
- Depression: Includes major depressive disorder and seasonal depression
- Anxiety disorders: Includes generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, social anxiety disorder and phobia-related disorders
- Bipolar disorder: Includes mania, hypomanic episodes, depressive episodes, major depressive disorder, mood swings
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD): Includes checking, obsessions, intrusive thoughts, hoarding
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Includes complex PTSD as well as PTSD co-occurring with another mental health concern
- Schizoaffective disorder: Includes symptoms of schizophrenia and a mood disorder
Evaluations and Treatments
We offer a range of services, including:
- Comprehensive psychiatric and psychological evaluations
- Medication treatment and management
- Individual counseling and therapy
- Specialized group therapies, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for anxiety disorders, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and mentalization-based therapy
- Integrated behavioral health care, or short-term therapy for common mental health concerns for primary care patients
If you need more intensive or highly specialized care, you may be referred to one of our specialized programs.
What You Can Expect at Your First Appointment
You can expect a compassionate provider and environment where your concerns are actively heard and valued. We treat you as a whole person and make every effort to understand your needs. Together we begin the process of crafting a personalized treatment plan to improve your mental and behavioral health.
Your care draws on the expertise of psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed marriage and family therapists, and psychiatric nurses to deliver the specific care you need to thrive.