HPV-Related Throat & Oral Cancers
The human papillomavirus (HPV) causes most oropharyngeal cancers in the United States. Look to UC San Diego Health to successfully treat your HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer, even when your cancer is advanced.
Nationally Ranked Cancer Care
We're repeatedly ranked among the nation's best in both cancer care and ear, nose and throat care by U.S. News & World Report. We're also the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in San Diego County. This is the highest possible rating for a U.S. cancer center, and it means you'll receive the best possible care and support. Studies show patient outcomes are better at NCI-designated cancer centers.
Expertise in HPV-Related Throat & Oral Cancer
We provide expertise in all aspects of care for HPV-related throat and oral cancer, including:
- Experienced oncologists who can help to ensure an accurate diagnosis
- Personalized and supportive care, with state-of-the-art genetic tumor testing to individualize treatment options
- Dedicated head and neck surgeons with extensive experience in minimally invasive robotic and laser surgeries, as well as reconstruction
- Opportunities to participate in novel clinical trials, including some that are unique to our center
- An internationally recognized head and neck cancer care team, including experts in voice and swallowing rehabilitation
- All the supportive resources of a world-class cancer center, including nutrition advice, support groups, and mind/body classes
Diagnosing & Treating HPV Cancers
We use genetic sequencing to evaluate your unique tumor type. With this critical information, we determine which treatment options—including potential new therapies being studied in clinical trials—may be most effective. Treatment decisions are also based on the size and location of the tumor, how advanced the disease is, and your overall health. Treatment may include surgery, radiation therapy, or chemotherapy. Your medical oncologist works with your care team to determine the most effective treatment.
Head and Neck Cancer Center Leaders
Head & Neck Cancer Care Team
We collaborate with you to deliver world-class care in a caring, supportive environment. Your care team may include surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, nurses, dietitians, social workers, radiologists, rehabilitation therapists, and speech and language therapists, or other physicians and professionals for your personal care plan.
Second Opinion Services
When you have a diagnosis as serious as cancer, you deserve a second opinion on your treatment options.
Advancing Cancer Care and Prevention
UC San Diego Health physicians are actively researching ways to improve cancer care. By joining a clinical trial, you may receive a new cancer treatment before it is available to the public. If your cancer has not responded to standard therapies, talk to your doctor about whether a clinical trial could be right for you.
Patient & Family Supportive Services
At UC San Diego Health, your care goes beyond treating disease. It also includes supporting you and your loved ones emotionally during your cancer journey. Most of our support services are free.
Head & Neck Cancer Research
Hanna and Mark Gleiberman Head and Neck Cancer Center