UC San Diego Health offers well-woman care through our gynecologists and certified nurse midwives. Your primary care physician may also provide well-woman exams.
Our gynecology care is ranked #29 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.
Most insurance companies cover annual well-woman examinations, which include:
- Preventive screenings
- Information about conditions and diseases that you may be at risk for
- An opportunity to discuss health concerns and your family history with your clinician
Services that may be offered, depending on your age and medical history, include:
- Blood pressure and cholesterol screening
- Pelvic exam and Pap test (Pap smear)
- Breast exam
- Immunizations, including the Gardasil cervical cancer vaccine
- Contraception counseling (see below)
- Pregnancy testing
- Mammogram referral, starting at age 40
- Bone density scan (osteoporosis screening), starting at age 65
- Referrals to various women's health specialties, including sports medicine, cardiovascular care, infertility care, menopause treatment, and others.
Your well-woman provider can also assist with general family planning needs, including basic contraception consulting and pregnancy testing.
We also offer a specialized family planning program, which includes a program for women who have complex medical issues that require highly effective contraceptive options. For more information, see Birth Control and Family Planning.