Specialty Clinics for People Living with HIV
The specialty clinics at UC San Diego Health's Owen Clinic in Hillcrest address key health issues for many people living with HIV, or at risk of contracting it, including:
- Anal cancers
- Hepatitis C and other liver conditions
- Metabolic conditions such as high blood cholesterol, diabetes and lipodystrophy
- Pre-exposure medication to prevent HIV infection
- Substance use disorders, including alcohol and opioid use disorders
Our multidisciplinary teams are non-judgmental and inclusive and are dedicated to helping our patients overcome barriers to care that many people with HIV face.
All our specialty clinics are conveniently located at the Owen Clinic.
Anal Dysplasia Clinic
This clinic is focused on preventing, detecting and treating anal cancers.
We offer comprehensive tests and procedures to screen for and diagnose anal cancers, including:
- Anal Pap smears
- Digital rectal exams
- High-resolution anoscopy, currently the most advanced technique for imaging anal growths
- Biopsies of suspicious growths
Hepatitis Co-Infection Clinic
This clinic is focused on treating and curing hepatitis C infections in people living with HIV.
Our clinical pharmacists are experts at helping patients successfully complete curative treatment for hepatitis C infections. If needed, patients can schedule appointments with a substance abuse counselor, psychiatrist and social worker.
In addition to treating hepatitis C, we also treat other liver conditions, including:
- Hepatitis B
- Liver steatosis
- Unexplained liver abnormalities
Lipid / Lipodystrophy Clinic
This clinic focuses on caring for people with metabolic conditions that are sometimes associated with HIV or antiretroviral therapies, including:
- Lipid abnormalities, such as high blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Glucose metabolic abnormalities such as insulin resistance and diabetes
- Changes in body composition such as muscle loss (“wasting”) or problems with how your body uses and stores fat (lipodystrophy)
Before scheduling your first appointment, you need a referral from your Owen Clinic primary care provider. During your first visit, your doctor will review of your health history, education about your metabolic condition and suggest a treatment plan that may include medications and lifestyle changes.
Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Clinic
This clinic is focused on HIV prevention through the use of pre-exposure medications, known as PrEP.
As the community’s PrEP experts, we can:
- Determine your eligibility for PrEP
- Prescribe PrEP
- Monitor your health while taking PrEP
- Offer free urine tests to assess medication adherence
- Test for and treat sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Give sexual health vaccines
- Help with health insurance for PrEP
We are one of the few clinics in San Diego to offer PrEP-AP, an assistance program designed to cover out-of-pocket costs for uninsured or under-insured patients.
Note: Owen Clinic providers can prescribe PrEP during an appointment, too.
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) Clinic
This clinic focuses on treating alcohol and opioid use disorders (OUD) with medications and counseling. Through our own resources and community partners, we can guide your treatment and support your recovery.
Some of the medications we offer currently include:
- Buprenorphine (also known as Suboxone or Sublocade) for heroin or other opioid use disorders
- Naltrexone (also known as Vivitrol) for alcohol use disorders
Notify a Partner Anonymously
A Free, Confidential Service
Information on how you can notify a partner anonymously of your HIV status.