Mother, Child & Adolescent HIV Program
UC San Diego Health offers excellent care to women, children, youth and young adults living with HIV.
Together, we can help you and your family thrive, with:
- Complete and confidential HIV care
- Health info on topics such as nutrition, vaccines, family planning and parenting
- Mental health services and substance use counseling
- Case management and help understanding your care plan
- Support groups for women, children and youth with HIV
- Crisis intervention
- Referrals to local resources
- Help with applying for health insurance
- English and Spanish speaking providers and staff
Four Clinics within Our HIV Program
We aim to deliver the best possible care in the easiest and most convenient way possible. To do this, we have four clinics. Each clinic cares for either women, pregnant women, children or adolescents. The clinics are described below.
Services for Women with HIV
- Primary care with a single physician at our renowned Owen Clinic. Women attend what is known in the community as the Female Owen Clinic, or "Fem Owen."
- Case management
- Reproductive health care, including family planning, safe sex education and well-woman visits
- Mental health counseling with licensed clinical social workers
- Tests and treatment for issues such as addiction (substance use disorders) and trauma
Services for Pregnant Women with HIV
- Complete prenatal and perinatal care
- Consults and prescription drugs to keep the fetus from getting HIV from you. These drugs work about 99 percent of the time when taken early and as directed during pregnancy.
Pediatric HIV Clinic
- Complete HIV care for infants and children
- HIV testing for newborns
Adolescent HIV Clinic
- Complete primary and HIV care for youth and young adults, age 15 to 24
- HIV info and support
- Case management
- Mental health and counseling on drug use
We accept all insurance plans. We can help you with applying for federal or state insurance programs and other resources. Our program is funded, in part, by the federal Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act.