UC San Diego Health's board-certified infectious disease specialists offer expert consultations to prevent, diagnose and manage all types of diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites.
Our infectious disease specialists often work closely with our cancer and organ transplant teams to prevent and effectively treat complicated infections when they do arise.
Many of our infectious disease services require a referral from another physician, typically a person's primary care provider.
- Bloodstream infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Cardiac infections, including endocarditis
- COVID-19, a respiratory disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus
- Long COVID-19, also known as post-COVID-19 syndrome or chronic COVID-19
- Gastrointestinal infections, including Clostridium difficile infections
- HIV/AIDS at the Owen Clinic
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Intra-abdominal infections
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections
- Outpatient parenteral therapy for serious infections
- Post-surgical infections, such as prosthetic joint infections and wound infections
- Respiratory syncytial virus or RSV, with rapid testing offered at our Urgent Care and Express Care locations
- Sexually-transmitted infections, such as herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia
- Skin and soft-tissue infections
- Tropical diseases, such as malaria
- Urinary tract infections, including recurrent infections and those caused by drug-resistant bacteria
COVID-19 Services / Information
UC San Diego Health's physicians were the first in the region to care for COVID-19 patients and among the first in the nation to develop in-house COVID-19 testing. With our expertise, we help ensure that you and your loved ones receive the best care, in the safest possible environment.