Our surgeons at the Center for Transplantation have extensive experience in performing heart, kidney, liver, lung and multi-organ transplants, as well as living kidney transplants.
We provide a full spectrum of care for the entire transplantation process — from pre-transplant evaluation to post-surgical maintenance — with the highest level of transplantation medicine available.
Feel confident choosing UC San Diego Health’s lifesaving transplant program. We have experience performing thousands of successful transplant procedures since 1968, with patient survival rates that exceed the national average.
Complete Transplantation Care
You'll receive personalized care from the region’s top transplant surgeons and transplant specialists, who are with you every step of the way.
- A pre-transplant evaluation reviews your overall nutrition, health and psychosocial factors to see if you’re a candidate for transplant surgery.
- Mental health services help provide coping skills and emotional support throughout the organ transplant journey.
- Advanced, research-driven surgical techniques ensure a successful and speedy recovery.
- Post-surgery recovery services help build strength and reduce the likelihood of organ rejection.
- Long-term monitoring and care prevent infection and improve transplant outcomes.
Life-Saving Transplant Procedures
Expect us to help you achieve the best possible outcomes of:
- Blood and marrow transplant (BMT)
- Heart transplant
- Kidney transplant
- Liver transplant
- Lung transplant
- Multi-organ transplant, like heart and lung transplant
Top Ranking for Survival Rates
Our patient survival rates exceed the national average for all programs, placing us among the nation's best transplant centers by the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR).
Paying for Your Transplant
Rely on our financial coordinator to help you with every financial aspect of your transplant surgery. We accept most major insurance plans for transplant services.
Living Kidney Donation
Donate your kidney to someone whose kidneys are no longer functioning. Your lifesaving, living kidney donation will increase the survival rate for the recipient.
People of all ages and medical histories can consider themselves potential donors. Register to become an official state organ, eye and tissue donor.
Transplant Program Team
Receive leading-edge, compassionate transplant care from our multidisciplinary transplant team, which includes surgeons, nurses, transplant coordinators, pharmacists, financial coordinators and nutritionists. We also have social workers and psychologists to provide emotional support and facilitate short- and long-term follow-up.
- Surgeon – Specializes in transplantation and performs the transplant surgery
- Nurse coordinator – Arranges appointments, medication refills and your recovery services
- Nutritionist – Helps you meet your nutritional needs before and after transplant surgery
- Pharmacist – Works with your care team to provide safe medication management
- Psychologist – Optimizes your emotional and behavioral health
- Financial coordinator – Assists will all billing needs
- Social worker – Refers you to resources that can help with lodging, transportation, finances, and other support services