Neurogenic Bladder & Neuro-Urology
Bladder problems can be embarrassing and painful. If you have neurogenic bladder, trust UC San Diego Health urologists to help you manage your symptoms — so you can enjoy a healthy, productive life.
Your options for effective bladder control include advanced surgical and nonsurgical treatments.
What is Neurogenic Bladder?
The nerves and muscles of the urinary system work together to help your bladder hold and release urine.
Damage to these nerves can cause neurogenic bladder, a neurological (nervous system) condition that prevents you from having effective bladder control. You may have difficulty emptying or voiding your bladder (underactive bladder) or a sudden, uncountable need to urinate (overactive bladder).
There's no cure for neurogenic bladder, but we can help you manage the symptoms.
What Causes Neurogenic Bladder?
Neurogenic bladder can be caused by congenital malformations (present at birth) or medical conditions:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Brain tumors
- Cerebral palsy
- Lumbar spine diseases, including lumbar stenosis
- Movement disorders, including Parkinson's disease
- Memory disorders, including Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Nerve damage after pelvic surgery
- Nerve injury due to an accident
- Normal-pressure hydrocephalus
- Spina bifida
- Spinal cord birth defects, injuries and tumors
Symptoms We Treat
If you have a neurogenic bladder, you could face two types of problems: underactive or overactive bladder. This could lead to the following symptoms:
- Difficult or painful urination
- Frequent urination
- Slow, weak or dribbling urine stream
- Kidney stones
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
Count on your UC San Diego Health care team, which draws upon innovative research and state-of-art technology to ensure you receive the best possible services.
U.S. News & World Report ranks us among the nation's best urology programs. Our neuro-urologists have extensive experience in treating neurogenic bladder disorders. We also work with other specialists to ensure you get exceptional and well-rounded care.
Innovative Treatments and Personalized Care
We provide confidential and expert services to manage your neurogenic bladder condition. We want to help enhance your sexual health and fertility and ensure you enjoy a healthy life.
At your first visit, your urologist will:
- Ask about your goals of care
- Review your symptoms and medical history
- Identify concerns based on your condition (such as risks to kidney function)
- Ask about your expectations on what would most improve your quality of life
We work with you to develop a customized treatment plan that’s best for you. You'll have access to the most-effective therapies and the latest advances in urologic surgery to promote faster recovery.