Calling or Checking the Status of a Patient
- To call a patient at any UC San Diego Health hospital or check on their status, call
858-657-7000 and ask for the patient by name.
- If you are a member of the media who is checking the status of a hospital patient, please see
Contacts for Journalists.
With San Diego County's move into Tier 2 ("Red Tier"), patients are now allowed to have a limited number of visitors at UC San Diego Health facilities:
- Patients who have been admitted to the hospital ("inpatients") can have
two visitors or support people.
- Patients at medical appointments, outpatient procedures or emergency room visits ("outpatients") can have one visitor or support person.
- At Moores Cancer Center and other Cancer Services locations:
- Multispecialty clinic: One visitor
- Radiation oncology clinic, CT simulation or MRI: One visitor
- The infusion therapy and radiation therapy clinics are not yet allowing visitors unless an exception is granted. Exceptions are granted only when a visitor is required for safe and effective delivery of care, or when a minor is accompanied by a patient or guardian.
- Patients who have COVID-19 or who are suspected of having COVID-19 can have visitors only if approved in advance.
All visitors and support people will be subject to these guidelines:
- Visitors will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19.
- All visitors must be 12 years or older, unless an exception has been granted.
- Visitors are required to wear a mask or face covering at all times while in our facilities, and they must comply with any instructions related to personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Visitors must remain in the patient's room or exam room and comply with any instructions related to physical distancing from staff or other patients.
- Visitors should leave the medical facility right away after finishing their visit.
- Visiting hours are 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
We also encourage people to stay connected with their loved ones through electronic means such as phone, Skype, FaceTime and WhatsApp. ADA service animals may accompany visitors and patients.
Other Hospital Information
Learn more about
meal services, cafés and vending machines.
There are a variety of lodging options near both of our hospital locations in Hillcrest and La Jolla. View more information on
lodging near UC San Diego Health.
Gifts for Patients
Reading materials, flowers, gifts and toiletries are all available at the
Use of Cellphones
Patients and visitors may use cellphones in most areas of the hospital. Cellphones are not allowed in certain restricted areas with “no cell phone” signs. As a courtesy to others, please turn your cellphone ringer down low or set it to vibrate.
Picture/video and audio recording features may not be used in any area of the hospital. Note that sometimes your doctors or nurses may need to speak on their cellphones to address clinical issues. Photos of patients with family and/or care team members are permitted only with the verbal consent of all individuals who are part of the picture, and if it doesn’t violate the privacy of other patients or staff.
Security Services/Lost and Found
If you have questions or concerns about safety while visiting patients, day or night, or have lost or found an item, please call our Security Services Office. For the Security Services Office at
UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, call 619-543-3762; for
Jacobs Medical Center (including Thornton Pavilion) in La Jolla, call 858-657-6420.
- UC San Diego Medical Center: First-floor hallway by the Emergency Department
- La Jolla
- Jacobs Medical Center/ Thornton Pavilion: The Cove cafe, first floor (walk through checkout area, and the ATM is in a room to the right)
- Moores Cancer Center: Second-floor hallway near restrooms