Calling or Checking Patient Status
- To call a patient at any UC San Diego Health hospital or check on their status, call
858-657-7000 and ask for the patient by name.
- If you are a member of the media who is checking the status of a hospital patient, please see
Contacts for Journalists.
COVID-19 vaccines or tests are no longer required for visitors to all UC San Diego Health facilities. Other guidelines — including those related to face masks, number of visitors allowed, and ages of visitors — are still in effect. Please read below for details.
Guidelines for Outpatient Visitors (Clinic Appointments, ER Visits and Procedures)
- Patients can have
one visitor or support person at most clinic appointments, outpatient procedures and emergency room visits.
- At some clinics, patients will be asked to self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Proper masking is still required in health care settings, including all our facilities. See
tips and FAQs about getting a proper mask fit.
- Please be aware that some areas (including apheresis and chronic dialysis units) are still
not allowing visitors to accompany patients to appointments unless an exception is approved in advance.
- Two visitors are allowed for pediatric patients under age 2 and for patients with appointments at Moores Cancer Center (except Infusion and Radiation Oncology, which are still limited to one visitor).
Guidelines for Hospital Visitors
We also encourage people to stay connected with their loved ones through electronic means such as phone, Skype, FaceTime and WhatsApp. ADA service animals may accompany visitors and patients.
Other Hospital Information
We recently implemented a new parking pricing structure and payment by license plate rather than stall number. Please take a photo or make a note of your license plate number before leaving your car and starting the payment process.
Learn more about
meal services, cafés and vending machines.
There are a variety of lodging options near both of our hospital locations in Hillcrest and La Jolla. View more information on
lodging near UC San Diego Health.
Gifts for Patients
Reading materials, flowers, gifts and toiletries are all available at the
Use of Cellphones
Patients and visitors may use cellphones in most areas of the hospital. Cellphones are not allowed in certain restricted areas with “no cell phone” signs. As a courtesy to others, please turn your cellphone ringer down low or set it to vibrate.
Picture/video and audio recording features may not be used in any area of the hospital. Note that sometimes your doctors or nurses may need to speak on their cellphones to address clinical issues. Photos of patients with family and/or care team members are permitted only with the verbal consent of all individuals who are part of the picture, and if it doesn’t violate the privacy of other patients or staff.
Security Services/Lost and Found
If you have questions or concerns about safety while visiting patients, day or night, or have lost or found an item, please call our Security Services Office. For the Security Services Office at
UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, call 619-543-3762; for
Jacobs Medical Center (including Thornton Pavilion) in La Jolla, call 858-657-6420.
- UC San Diego Medical Center: First-floor hallway by the Emergency Department
- La Jolla
- Jacobs Medical Center/ Thornton Pavilion: The Cove cafe, first floor (walk through checkout area, and the ATM is in a room to the right)
- Moores Cancer Center: Second-floor hallway near restrooms