UC San Diego Health's board-certified infectious disease specialists offer expert consultations to prevent, diagnose and manage all types of diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites.
Our infectious disease specialists often work closely with our cancer and organ transplant teams to prevent and effectively treat complicated infections when they do arise.
Many of our infectious disease services require a referral from another physician, typically a person's primary care provider.
- Bloodstream infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Cardiac infections, including endocarditis
COVID-19, a respiratory disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus
Long COVID-19, also known as post-COVID-19 syndrome or chronic COVID-19
- Gastrointestinal infections, including
Clostridium difficile infections
HIV/AIDS at the Owen Clinic
- Intra-abdominal infections
Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections
Outpatient parenteral therapy for serious infections
- Post-surgical infections, such as prosthetic joint infections and wound infections
- Respiratory syncytial virus or RSV, with rapid testing offered at our Urgent Care and Express Care locations
- Sexually-transmitted infections, such as herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia
- Skin and soft-tissue infections
- Tropical diseases, such as malaria
- Urinary tract infections, including recurrent infections and those caused by drug-resistant bacteria
COVID-19 Services / Information
UC San Diego Health's infectious disease specialists are experts in COVID-19 and have been heavily involved in the region's emergency response. We were, in fact, the first in the region to care for COVID-19 patients and among the first in the nation to develop in-house COVID-19 testing. With our expertise, we help ensure that you and your loved ones receive the best care, in the safest possible environment.