Emotional Care for New Moms
Pregnancy can be a time of joy — and a time of complex emotions. Our experts help women with a full range of emotional issues associated with pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum, and infant care and bonding. Our goal is to provide you with personalized treatment to help you cope with daily challenges and enjoy life with your new family.
Approximately 20 percent of pregnant women experience post-partum anxiety or post-partum depression. UC San Diego Health offers the most effective treatment plans to help mothers and their families thrive.
Collaborative Family Therapy and Obstetrics Care
Our OB/GYN, therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists work together to customize individualized treatment plans for women. Treatment may include psychotherapy, medication, or a combination of both, depending on what level of mental health support is right for you.
Maternal Mental Health Services
We offer a variety of approaches, including individual, couples or group psychotherapy, behavioral therapy, and mindfulness and relaxation techniques. We also offer single-visit consultations or ongoing counseling, depending on your unique needs, including:
- Management of medications for mood disorders before, during, and after pregnancy, including breastfeeding
- Treatment of depression and anxiety related to pregnancy, plus help for postpartum depression and anxiety
- Support for parenting concerns, including infant attachment and bonding
- Help for couples adjusting to parenthood
- Counseling for families dealing with pregnancy loss