Keeping you and your baby healthy is our top priority. If you are at risk for complications during pregnancy, delivery or after, you will need special care by a maternal-fetal medicine specialist.
Our board-certified experts are ready to help with advanced diagnostic and treatment options for the most complex pregnancies. We offer the services you need, including pregnancy consultations, ultrasounds and other screenings, and genetic counseling.
What's a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist?
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists, also known as perinatologists, focus on managing your health — along with your baby's — before, during and right after your pregnancy.
They are specialized doctors in the field of obstetrics who can perform tests, treatments and surgeries that might be needed for high-risk pregnancies.
Our nationally recognized perinatologists provide fetal imaging and consultations in several convenient locations around San Diego County.
What's a High-Risk Pregnancy?
Pregnancies are considered high-risk when there is a condition that puts you, your baby, or both at risk for potential complications during pregnancy, or during or after birth.
Your pregnancy may be considered high-risk if you have any of these conditions:
- Pregnancy with twins or other multiples
- Personal or family history of birth defects
- Personal or family history of uterine or placental abnormalities
- History of complications with prior pregnancies
- Pregnancy with fetal growth issues or abnormalities
- Pregnancy with placental issues
- High blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, or an auto-immune disorder
- Heart disease, including adult congenital heart disease
- Recurrent miscarriage or pregnancy loss
- Possibility of pre-term delivery
Experienced in High-Risk Deliveries
We perform a high volume of high-risk deliveries per year, which shows we have the experience and facilities needed to handle these types of situations.
We provide 24-hour consultation and management of pregnancy complications, overseeing your and your baby's health throughout your pregnancy and after your delivery.
Our team of board-certified perinatologists, neonatologists, radiologists, anesthesiologists and pediatric surgeons is committed to providing personalized, family-centered care. They collaborate to provide the following services:
- Prevention of pre-term birth, including cervical assessments and cerclage
- Placental assessment, including management of:
- Placenta previa
- Placenta accrete
- Fetal growth disorders
- Timing of antenatal steroids
- Delivery planning to coordinate care with
Labor & Delivery and our Level III NICU at Jacobs Medical Center