If you are overweight and pregnant, or plan to become pregnant, we can help you before, during and after your pregnancy. Our team understands your challenges and provides comprehensive, compassionate care to support healthier outcomes for you and your baby.
We specialize in caring for women who have had bariatric surgery or who have a
body mass index (BMI) of 35 or higher.
Pregnancy and Obesity
Obesity in pregnancy is very common. Patients who are obese are at risk for complications during and after pregnancy, including too much weight gain, high blood pressure, diabetes, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, cesarean deliveries, postpartum depression, and breastfeeding issues. Their babies are also at increased risk for complications, including birth defects and pediatric obesity.
Our Maternal Weight and Wellness Program is led by
Dr. Yvette LaCoursiere, an obstetrician who specializes in the risks and challenges of pregnancy and obesity. She provides complete and personalized care throughout your pregnancy.
- Preconception counseling for those who are considering becoming pregnant
- Nutrition counseling
- Weight gain management
- Physical activity support
- Specialized fetal imaging
- Monitoring for complications, such as diabetes, hypertension, and preeclampsia
- Prompt intervention and coordinated care, if complications do exist
- Delivery planning with anesthesia consultation
- Breastfeeding support
- Post-pregnancy care to encourage a continued healthy lifestyle
- Co-management with our
Bariatric and Metabolic Institute for medical or surgical care
- Screening and treatment for mood and anxiety disorders during and after pregnancy
Do I Qualify?
Our team serves pregnant women who have:
- A BMI above 30 who have coexisting disease(s)
- A BMI above 35 with no coexisting disease
- A BMI above 35 who are considering pregnancy or bariatric surgery
- Had bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, gastric banding, gastric sleeve, or bypass revision
Becoming a Patient
If you don't meet the criteria above but feel you could benefit from our services, please contact us to discuss becoming a patient.
You can contact us directly or your health care provider can refer us to you. We may see you for a single visit or for integrated care throughout your pregnancy.
Call us at 858-657-8745 when you're thinking about becoming pregnant or at any stage in your pregnancy.