Nd:YAG laser is a neodynium, yttriuim, aluminum, garnet based therapy using a focused beam of powerful light energy. Laser energy is used to destroy airway cancers or abnormal airway tissue growth, as well as treat airway bleeding.
Benefits of Nd:YAG Laser Treatment
- Treatment can be used to debulk the trachea or bronchi of abnormal tissue, resulting in a patent (open) airway
- Laser is an important tool for photocoagulation, which helps stop airway bleeding
- It's a specific type of laser used for airway disease, granulation tissue, endobronchial airway cancer removal, recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP), and photocoagulation for airway bleeding
- It is a powerful tool that allows the physician to rapidly remove diseased airway tissue
- Laser therapy is one of several endobronchial therapies that can remove granulation tissue, airway tumors, photocoagulate areas of airway bleeding, or aid in the treatment of relieving tracheal stenosis